Paris-Lausanne Tour, September 19-25th

candied oranges in chocolate meringues

Due to demand for my Paris and Lausanne Gastronomy Tour, we’re offering a second trip this fall. We’ll begin the week in Paris, exploring chocolate shops, tasting wine, and dining at my favorite tables in Paris. Then we’ll take the high-speed TGV train to Lausanne, Switzerland, to this lovely small city perched above Lake Geneva.

With the historic Lausanne Palace and Spa as our home base, we’ll sample everything from molten cheese fondue to ribbons of air-dried beef..as well as sip lovely regional white wines, which are produced in such small quantities that they rarely make it out of the area. (The exception are the bottles in my suitcase.)

What else will we do?

…wolf down cheese-filled Malakoffs of Vinzel

…visit the famous wood-fired ovens at Poilâne bakery

…sample the lard of Begnins

…nibble chocolates with the experts at La Maison du Chocolat

…dip into fondue at Café Grütli

…taste the amazing cheeses of Gruyère at the source

…taste the amazing Gruyère double cream

…visit a winery and vineyard overlooking Lake Geneva

…visit Fouquet and snack on chocolate-covered marshmallows (if you can get one out of my clutches, that is…)

…dine at Hidden Kitchen

…get our fill of Swiss chocolate at Blondel

…eat (or try to eat) a real Swiss cheese sandwich

If you’re interested and want more information, or to sign up, please visit my Tours page or send a message.

Swiss Mont d'or cheese lard de Begnins

• July 17, 2011 6:10pm

Wolfing down cheese, nibbling on chocolates, dipping into fondue…it all sounds fabulous.

• July 17, 2011 6:54pm

good afternoon.
    I used to live in Lausanne.
    Don’t forget to order a hot chocolate drink, that takes 2hrs to eat with a spoon.

It’s memorable.

• July 17, 2011 7:38pm

A tour of France and a trip to Switzerland sounds like a dream, especially that time of year. If only I had a job that would pay me to review such a trip – I’d be there in a heartbeat.

• Klee
    July 17, 2011 8:10pm

Oh ! Oh! I wanna go!

• Bethh
    July 17, 2011 10:43pm

Good grief that sounds amazing! Do you include massive hikes to help your guests burn those calories? ;-) I admire that you’ve set up your life to do this – & I look forward to your trip reports!

• July 18, 2011 1:00am

It is my goal to sort my life out to join one of these tours, David. Sounds exquisite.

• Dennis
    July 18, 2011 2:11am

Wow, I wish I can go but I am a paraplegic and have to use a walker to get around.

• Miranda
    July 18, 2011 4:30am

Oh my! I want to go so very badly!!! The Gruyere double cream, the real swiss cheese sandwiches…I cannot stop thinking about it!

• July 18, 2011 4:31am

Sounds like a great tour! Going on such a trip in Europe is one of my dreams and I am working hard to make that dream come true sooner than later!
    By looking at the picture above, I assume having a Swiss army knife is a requirement? :)

• Geneva Ace
    July 18, 2011 11:20am

disgustingly jealous

• Florent
    July 18, 2011 4:16pm

I was wondering if those tours were reserved to English speaking people. I’m sure that my folks back home would enjoy this but their minimal knowledge of the English language would diminish the pleasure if that was the case.

• July 18, 2011 4:23pm

Florent: We have had people who spoke little English come, and indeed some of the presentations are in French (translated into English), but a vast majority of the guests are anglophones so a good number of the events are in English.

• turquoise
    July 18, 2011 4:58pm

living in Switzerland as a Parisian expat and having a boyfriend in Paris, i don’t really need to go on this trip so just two comments: the Maison du chocolat has in my opinion the best tarte au chocolat in the world and the best Swiss white wines are (again in my opinion) not in Romandie but in the Graubünden (Grisons).

• Sharon deRham
    July 18, 2011 5:11pm

Hi, David,

Was married to a Lausannois for many years though we lived in Palo Alto and Calistoga. Still had many opportunities to eat and travel in Switzerland. I adore the truffes at Mojonnier. Have you ever tried them?

• July 18, 2011 6:17pm

Hey I live in Lausanne!!!! Let me know if you need something, I’d love to help with degustation, city touring and that stuff. I am not actually a lausannoise but I know the city… not the Palace from inside though … it is not in my budget hehehe.
    Have you tried the “escapades gourmandes” around montreux? they are great!!
    Have fun!

• July 18, 2011 6:27pm

That sounds amazing,I wanna go!

• July 18, 2011 10:46pm

Wow! There goes the diet . . . .

But what a wonderful way to go!

• kelsey
    July 19, 2011 2:26am

ohhh how i wish that i could join you, this sounds absolutely delicious…

• July 19, 2011 6:02pm

I wish I had known of this earlier. I’ll be getting to Paris on the 23rd ;-(

• July 20, 2011 3:20am

I feel your pain Eileen… We get to Europe in the first week of October :-(

I so wanted to go on this tour but it would have made our trip too long (return date is fixed).

I’m determined to get back for the next one though . … David – please don’t stop running them any time soon!

July 23, 2011 3:41am

Oh my goodness. Going on one of your tours is going on the Life List :)

• July 28, 2011 4:21pm

You had me at malakoff, David:-)

Your Paris-Lausanne itinerary is so fabulous and reading about it makes me want to take the trip all over again.

• anna
    July 30, 2011 10:04pm

Send me some of those candied oranges from the first picture? And let me know if you’re ever on the West coast again, trans Atlantic flights are out of my budget for now :)