Marshmallow Cream Fudge

I was told by my somewhat better half that I wasn’t allowed to bring the construction crew – that is, the guys who are working on my apartment – any more treats until they picked up the pace. I don’t think the expression “No more monsieur nice guy” exists in French, but that seemed to be the tone of the sentiment expressed.

However being American, I can’t help being a soft touch and have been sneaking the guys treats over there. They’ve had everything from Date Bars to Panforte. Meanwhile back at home, as I am packing up my kitchen cabinets and boxing everything up for my move, I found a jar of marshmallow cream that I brought back from the states a while back, presumably to make some sort of cupcake frosting that I never got around to.

marshmallow cream

So I decided that a little marshmallow fudge never hurt anyone. And in fact, a little sugar is known to speed up the pace of things. Here’s hoping…

Marshmallow Cream Fudge

One 8-inch (20cm) pan

I altered the classic recipe slightly by using some unsweetened (bitter) chocolate. If you can’t get that, use 4 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate. Of course, you can swap out any nuts that you like – or omit them altogether.

A number of us DIY-types might inquire if regular homemade marshmallows could be substituted for the marshmallow cream. I haven’t tried it, but if you do, let us know in the comments how they work out.

• 2/3 cup (160ml) evaporated milk (not sweetened condensed milk)
  • 6 ounces (170g) salted butter, cubed
  • 3 cups (600g) sugar
  • 8 ounces (225g) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 4 ounces (115g) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
  • 7 ounces (200g) marshmallow cream*
  • 1 cup (120g) roasted peanuts, coarsely chopped

1. Line an 8-inch (20cm) square pan with foil, leaving an overhang on at least two sides. Smooth out any wrinkles or creases.

2. Put the evaporated milk in a 4-quart (4l) saucepan and fix a candy thermometer to the side.

3. Add the evaporated milk, butter, and sugar to the pan, and heat – stirring frequently so it doesn’t burn – until the temperature reaches 234ºF (112ºC).

4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, as well as the unsweetened chocolate and marshmallow cream.

5. Stir in the peanuts, then scrape the mixture into the foil-lined pan. Let cool for at least four hours.

Once cool, lift the fudge from the pan, and cut into cubes.

Related Links and Recipes

Vegan Fantasy-ish Fudge (101 Cookbooks)

Homemade Marshmallows

Making Your Own Evaporated Milk (She Simmers)

Evaporated Milk (Wikipedia)

Chocolate FAQs

White Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats with Candied Peanuts

Organic Ricemellow Cream (Suzanne’s Specialities)

Candy Thermometers

*I realize that marshmallow cream has some dubious ingredients in it. But desperate times call for desperate measures and it really seemed to speed things up. And lo and behold, I went over to the apartment this morning and the plumbing in my kitchen is nearly completed, they’re installing a wc, and there is a hot water heater firmly in place. So please excuse any lapse in judgement, but I really need my kitchen done. (There’s an all-natural alternative in the links above.)

• February 14, 2012 11:04am

Normally I’m not a fan of marshmellow fluff. But I have to say this looks absolutely delicious! Reminds me of rocky road fudge I used to have as a kid :) Happy Valentine’s Day!

• February 14, 2012 11:25am

We’re going to start some construction work in France in a couple of months so I shall remember this helpful tip to speed things along!

• February 14, 2012 11:26am

I have one extra jar of marshmallow cream, which I would send you – but I’d better keep it just for “insurance” – !

• February 14, 2012 11:25am

Interesting strategy. I’ve noticed different reactions. In some countries when treats are presented in work situations everyone will wait till break time. In other countries everyone drops what they are doing, make tea and work becomes history. I hope in your case its the former not latter

• February 14, 2012 11:39am

Hey, you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do in order to get things done in Paris – I am totally going to try some sugar-based bribery the next time something in my flat needs to be fixed! Although that fudge looks so good, I’m not sure I could keep from eating it all myself…

• Cathg1g2
    February 14, 2012 11:43am

Oh how wicked! Love this recipe.
    I baked muffins, even portioned off some tagine for my builder…whatever it takes.

• February 14, 2012 12:02pm

I think I have a jar of fluff lurking in my cupboard….

• February 14, 2012 12:42pm

If you pay in food, can I help a bit :)

I d love to try what you cook!

REALLY!!!

• Christie
    February 14, 2012 12:46pm

Quick question…. Did you bring the fluff from the states or did you buy it here in Paris? I’m also an expat in Paris and would love to find it!

• February 14, 2012 12:47pm

Like Miss K said, you gotta do what you gotta do. I have done my fair share of bribing with sweets to get things done. My French friends always request rice krispy treats, nothing as snazzy as this though. I might have to switch things up with this. Happy for you that things are progressing nicely, that is either a light at the end of the tunnel your seeing, or a semi so beware;)

• February 14, 2012 12:58pm

Flash of nostalgia as I grew up in a family of bakers, sweet lovers. Making and eating fudge was our go-to treat since all the ingredients were in the cupboards at all times. Mom’s recipe was from her junior high home ec teacher and involved the low-tech, yet effective soft-ball stage testing in a glass of iced water.

Andrew Zimmern’s 2008 visit with you to Bastille Market, etc. replayed on the travel channel last night. Loved it.

• February 14, 2012 1:06pm

Christie: You can find Fluff in many supermarkets in Paris, such as Monoprix. They have it in the “American” aisle – which is a little odd because it’s not something that most Americans eat anymore. But I got mine in the US and was holding on to it for a project that never came to fruition.

Marielle: Andrew is great and we had a blast at the market in Paris together. Glad you enjoyed it, too.

Nikki: My French friends love Rice Krispie Treats – a lot.

Miss K: In my present flat, whenever I call the plumber, the first thing he says when I open the door is, “What flavors of ice cream do you have today?” …

• Claire
    February 14, 2012 1:07pm

Seems like a silly question, but what is marshmallow cream? Sounds intriguing but dangerous..

• Carol L
    February 14, 2012 2:38pm

I make this fudge every year at Christmas and everyone always tells me it is the best fudge they have ever had.

• February 14, 2012 2:46pm

David, with the amount of sugar in that, they should be whizzing around on a real high! I too, have builders in (having a pool) and they get VERY well looked after! Like to keep my builders happy, trouble is, I get tempted too. Does Fluff taste of anything? Is it like the sweet stuff they put in store bought Swiss Rolls?

• February 14, 2012 2:57pm

The fluffy white stuff does have…umm…some of the not-best-for-your-body ingredients, but the fudge is beyond compare! Smooth, creamy chocolate. I feel a sugar coma coming on just thinking about it!

• February 14, 2012 3:43pm

Yum! This is the version of fudge my mother always makes and it’s one of my favorites. I typically cut down the sugar by 1/2 c. and add the marshmallow cream to the milk/sugar/butter and boil them all together before adding the chocolate and nuts. The best part is scraping everything out of the pan and licking the spoon. :)

• February 14, 2012 3:45pm

This would definitely get the construction crew going!

• February 14, 2012 4:51pm

I’ve never used marshmallow fluff, but that fudge looks really good. Hope these encourage your crew! Or at least makes them zippy with a sugar rush.

• Karen Vicki
    February 14, 2012 4:58pm

Regular old Marshmallow Fluff is only two ingredients, the same as marshmallow you would make at home, like I’ve done—egg whites and sugar and some corn syrup (and vanilla).I wanted to add that I have made caramels a lot from your recipe (which is the bestest!) and one thing I have done differently that could apply to this: I use parchment paper to line the bread tin I use for the caramels. You can lift them out with it. For the fudge, maybe spread around a drop of an oil like walnut on the paper but my caramels have never stuck. I avoid aluminum in my kitchen.

I am happy to hear of the progress! Lucky guys to get the treats.

• Christine
    February 14, 2012 5:04pm

I wonder if using an Italian meringue would work in place of the Fluff. I may try and see, as I always have eggs and sugar.

• Thea
    February 14, 2012 5:50pm

Happy Valentines to you and Romain!
    I have used a very similar recipe for many years and it is requested constantly! This is truly the creamiest most perfect fudge – as all good fudge should be ;-) You can use just plain old marshmallows from the bag too. I use baking parchment instead of foil (no oil needed ever), find it much easier to remove the fudge. Darn you! Now I’m going to have to make some! LOL

• Shyanne
    February 14, 2012 5:51pm

Ohh, sinful. David Leibovitz has marshmallow cream?? I guess that means I can indulge and make this treat for Valentine’s Day without guilt… I secretly love those Betty Crocker recipes, too.

• February 14, 2012 5:52pm

This looks so good! I just moved to France and did not pack my candy thermometer or I might have rushed right into the kitchen to try this. Though I would have to go buy some of the ingredients as I don’t have Marshmallow Fluff around. I do have marshmallows (brought from the States) & Rice Krispies just waiting for that next bake sale opportunity….

• Lando
    February 14, 2012 5:54pm

Deliciousssss! Forget the artificial side of marshmallows. This one is definitely a keeper. Pecans and a touch of citrus, perhaps. Thanks for the recipes =)

• February 14, 2012 5:58pm

How funny, as an English woman living in France, this could not look less appetising (I don’t have a sweet tooth) and yet my Australian friend staying with me, said how delicious it looked, chaqu’un a son gout luckily enough! (now if that was tete de veau or something scrummy like that….!)

• Cyndy
    February 14, 2012 6:02pm

Marshmallow cream makes the best fudge. There’s something je ne sais quois about it, as opposed to fudge without. There used to be a recipe for it on the back of Nestle’s chocolate chip packages. We would take it on vacation to the shore every summer and gain 10 pounds in two weeks. I can still recall the sugar shock.

Wish I were working on your apartment and could be the beneficiary of just a few pieces. It’s too hard to be self-limiting with this fudge!

• February 14, 2012 6:04pm

I think the truth is marshmallow cream does find its way into our cupboards. We just have to wear dark glasses and hope we don’t see anyone we know at the grocery store in the next town when we buy it. Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Linda H
    February 14, 2012 6:08pm

I use bittersweet chocolate also in my marshmallow fudge. It increases the chocolate flavor and cuts the sweet. My children demand this fudge at Christmas.

• February 14, 2012 6:14pm

Nancy: When I lived in San Francisco, the supermarket was sort of a “minefield” because invariably, if you had something like Oreo’s, frozen pizza, or marshmallow cream in your cart, you’d run into someone you worked with at Chez Panisse – busted!

Cyndy: There’s a lot of sugar in this which is why I added some unsweetened chocolate. Someday I might tinker around with it…but that will involve me having to buy more marshmallow cream. And the cycle begins again..

Thea: Good to know it works with regular marshmallows. I assumed it would but haven’t tried it. The parchment paper in France isn’t necessarily non-stick and I’ve had a few “issues” with it. I do prefer paper over foil, in general, though.

• Alex
    February 14, 2012 6:23pm

I don’t think regular marshmallows would work as well in place of the fluff because of the gelatin used to set them. However, mini marshmallows are a classic addition to make rocky road or s’more fudges.

If you can’t/don’t want to buy marshmallow fluff, a meringue should work well. Italian would probably work best.

• February 14, 2012 6:23pm

Hi, there. I’m new to marshmallows but I think I ‘ll start with yours as it looks delicious. And what day is better to do so than today? Thanks a lot.

• February 14, 2012 6:26pm

Date bars, panforte, marshmallow fudge? I can’t do much but paint, but I am available, around the dessert hour.

• February 14, 2012 6:31pm

I buy “papier cuisson en feuilles, structure alvéolée”, the make is Albal. Works as well as parchment paper.

• Linda
    February 14, 2012 6:42pm

Aren’t you worried that, by providing them with reasons to want to be at your place, you may actually be lengthening the time it will take? Why would they want to finish quickly and move on to another job where they may not be treated (pun intended) so well?

• February 14, 2012 6:47pm

Michèle: Thanks – I’ve often just bought the store-brand, and was disappointed. I bought a big roll at Metro when I was there a few weeks ago so hopefully that’s better.

Linda: I’ve learned they operate on their own time-frame, and what makes sense to us, doesn’t always make sense to them. But they are working hard and it’s sometimes messy (and it’s been cold here as well) – so any way I can help (well, aside from getting messy myself…) I’m willing to do.

• February 14, 2012 7:02pm

I adore Marshmallow Creme and had actually forgotten about it! I know that I do have a fudge recipe that calls for it! Your workers may be slow; however I am sure they adore you!

Happy Valentines David!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

• February 14, 2012 7:04pm

Lucky construction crew! I am not a fudge fan, but I am willing to try anything with chocolate !

• February 14, 2012 7:23pm

Your construction crew must think that they’ve died and gone to heaven!

• February 14, 2012 7:26pm

OMG, I LOVE fudge and have been looking for a good recipe for a while. I also LOVE marshmallow fluff and have several jars in my house that I use for cupcake frostings. Marshmallow fluff + chocolate + roasted peanuts??? It doesn’t get much better than that! Thanks for what looks like a delicious recipe!

• February 14, 2012 7:26pm

We used to eat marshmallow fluff and peanut butter on Ritz crackers when I was a kid. Last time I needed any fluff I made home made. I think the recipe I used was on the Whats Cooking America’s site. So next time you need some, just make it! The fudge looks delicious for a treat. I seldom make anything like this anymore with all of the sugar. Thanks David!

• Erin Star
    February 14, 2012 7:27pm

YES! I make this during the holidays every year, it’s always a favorite. I also make a peanut butter version that is so sinful. Bribery by sugar is never a bad idea, and usually seems to work! ;) Hope you and your better half have a great Valentine’s Day. Keep those pics of the new place coming! :)

• ChefCitron
    February 14, 2012 7:29pm

Happy Valentine’s Day!!!

My Mom has been making chocolate fudge with Fluff since I was little girl- and it’s pretty fabulous!!! Fluff is from Lynn, MA (USA), and used to sold only in New England states, but is now available nationwide. So even though the ingredients are not fram fresh, at least for me ion Boston, I can say it’s a “local” product!

(Someone in my ‘Culture & Cuisine of New England’ class at Boston University’s Masters in Gastronomy program actually wrote a thesis about Fluff!)

Any-whoo, on the Fluff company;s webiste, it has a fun, free cookbook (link opens to downloadable PDF) with all sorts of wacky fudge and candy recipes- see link below:

• February 14, 2012 7:33pm

I have been wanting to try to make fudge and this looks super easy!

• February 14, 2012 7:42pm

That looks like a neat trick, David! I will try it myself while hoping for progress on that terrible list of things that never get done, like the VMC. It looks like they’re making incredible progress already. Good luck with the packing, and I look forward to all of your yummy ’emptying the cupboard’ recipes, good fun.

• February 14, 2012 7:48pm

What a perfect Valentine’s Day post! Got the email and went straight to my kitchen and made it.
    Made my own fluff from this recipe: http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/marshmallow-cream-fluff-homemade-substitute-copycat-52036.
    The fudge looks sooooooooo good – can’t wait for 4 hours to be up (it’s still warm in the pan. My little daughter is very quietly licking the spatula next to me :).
    Thanks for all your great recipes!

Also love watching your kitchen renovation. That is what I do for a living (in the US) so it is fun to see your progress!

Best! Nicole Hough

• Norine
    February 14, 2012 7:51pm

Strangely I prefer a more dense, almost gritty chocolate fudge – more praline style. The corn sugar in the marshmallow creme/fluff stuff is what makes it so soft/gummy/creamy. Corn sugar keeps other sugars from crystalizing. I’ve found those too-sweet packaged chocolate chips are really well received in the cookies I make for my auto mechanic. It’s good to be known as the ice cream man or the cookie lady – whatever it takes :-)

• February 14, 2012 7:53pm

When I first moved to France, I achingly missed this fudge recipe – it’s total fluff (!) but so good. I use marshmallows with perfect results (except for the colored ones – which seems rampid here). The issue always is measurement – but I seem to work it out. My French neighbors have noo problem inhaling this. ;-) – heidi

• February 14, 2012 8:07pm

I’m admitting it here: Fantasy Fudge (the marshmallow cream recipe) is my very favorite kind of fudge. I know it isn’t the real thing, but no matter — there it is.

• February 14, 2012 8:07pm

I can’t believe you posted this. It’s called “Irma’s Fudge” in my family, after my dear-departed grandmother. They’re sorry that the recipe died with her, but I’ve always secretly known that she got it from the Marshmallow Cream jar! Thanks for the inspiration. I’m going to have to suddenly appear with “Irma’s Fudge” at future family gathering.

• arline of va
    February 14, 2012 8:19pm

My thoughtful husband remembered my list of gift ideas and for Valentine’s day, he surprised me a new copy of your book, “Ready for Dessert.” Now that’s a sweet gift that will keep on giving and sharing sweets for a long time! I’ll bake him something with peanut butter from your book for a treat tonight!

• February 14, 2012 8:36pm

I always use treats to “bribe” folk its the American way!

♥ Happy Valentines Day! ♥

• February 14, 2012 8:54pm

When I was growing up my grandmother used to always make fudge when we came to visit her in Florida. She wasn’t really a good cook (the pickled pigs feet in her fridge to this day freaks me out!) and I thought this was her one culinary talent. I have always had a hard time making fudge the old fashioned way and one day I asked my mom for her recipe and she pointed me towards the back of the marshmallow creme jar. At first my admiration of her fudge was dashed but I never made a bad batch of fudge since! I will have to try your chocolate tweak next time I make it. I think the name of the original recipe that she used was Fantasy Fudge.

• Claire
    February 14, 2012 9:20pm

My mother-in-law is ill at the moment but she loves fudge, so I’ve just got to make her some of this – my only problem is knowing what is bittersweet or semisweet chocolate in England. The unsweetened is what we call cooking chocolate but can anyone help with the bittersweet or semisweet chocolate?

Many thanks

• slamora
    February 14, 2012 9:27pm

I’ve made this fudge recipe every Christmas for years with great success. Last year I tried a “Never Fail” recipe, which certainly failed in mine and my daughter’s eyes! Thanks for the reminder of how great this recipe is!

• Melinda
    February 14, 2012 9:32pm

That marshmallow fluff has another use: fruit dip (which of course begs the question: why dip fruit in anything besides chocolate?).

One Christmas I had this at a friends house and thought: hmmm, white-trashy. Then I ate it. Mmmmmm, addictive… and a simple addition to a spread of bits o’ things to nosh on.

1 jar fluff
    1 brick cream cheese (8 oz), room temperature.
    Blend them till smooth.
    Serve with slices of firm fruit — apples and pears work best

Not something you’d eat frequently, but surprisingly yummy.

• Sandy Castro
    February 14, 2012 9:36pm

Happy Valentine ! David

• Oakjoan
    February 14, 2012 9:47pm

EEEEeeeeeeeWWWWWW!

How could ANYBODY in his/her right mind (and even those not in their right minds) EVER eat even one bite of something called “jet-puffed” marshmallow creme” and probably made mostly from chemicals (I know, I know, everything is made of chemicals, but you catch my drift). I mean I have my ugly secret food loves (peanut butter-filled pretzels, frozen limeade concentrate, etc.) but JET-PUFFED? Real Marshmallow cream – if there is a product that’s “real” and “marshmallow” – sounds pretty disgusting in the first place.

I’m shocked! SHOCKED!

• Vicki
    February 14, 2012 10:05pm

So happy to see your use of a favorite pleasure! When Kraft switched from glass containers to plastic for their marshmallow creme my first thought was how much lighter it will be when I stow it in my suitcase for our annual trip to France. Translation: I now pop three jars into the checked case instead of the usual one. We try to save one unopened jar for French friends who accept our addiction and don’t pass judgement. It’s often their secret ingredient in dessert toppings.

• February 14, 2012 10:19pm

What _is_ marshmallow cream/fluff? In one of my favourite books, the heroine liked marshmallow fluff and raspberry jam sandwiches, which I always thought sounded horrid (but I don’t have much of a sweet tooth), but I have always wondered what it was.

My mother makes fudge to a similar recipe, but using golden syrup instead of your marshmallow stuff. The family say it is lovely, but I’ve never cared for it. Might be interesting to try your recipe – at least it wouldn’t stink of hot golden syrup, which turns me up – and let the fudge-lovers in the family compare the two, only I don’t think you can get marshmallow whatever-it-is here. Actually, you probably can in American speciality shops, but it’s not something it’s ever occurred to me to look for.

• February 14, 2012 10:36pm

Lucky construction crew!

• February 14, 2012 10:46pm

This looks heavenly. Hopefully, it helps them work faster :) Happy v-day.

• Judy - Overland Park KS
    February 14, 2012 10:47pm

I’ve been receiving your blog for several months, and I delight in it; no calories in the beautiful pics and descriptions. Once when I clicked on a link and it didn’t go anywhere, there was a big ‘Merde’! at which I began to guffaw. I hope your kitchen remodeling is finished soon and that you love the results. Thanks and Happy Valentine’s Day.

• February 14, 2012 11:53pm

I have never eaten marshmallow cream or fluff, although I know people who ate it with peanut butter in elementary school. I do know that you can melt regular store-bought marshmallows and put them in fudge (with lots of bitter chocolate to offset the sweetness). The advantage of using marshmallows is that it assures that the fudge will set — no re-cooking ever. Making fudge is a good thing to do with bags of marshmallows that have been in the cupboard too long. We make our candy in buttered Pyrex pans and don’t bother with any paper, foil or plastic.

• February 15, 2012 12:02am

Mmmmm. Very similar to what I make at Christmas. Made Frosty the Fudgeman this year :) Good luck with the construction crew! Energy is good, especially energy from scrumptious food :)

• February 15, 2012 12:03am

Ooooo chocolate! Although I’m not a fan of fluff, trying the recipe with homemade marshmallows sounds like an awesome idea!

• February 15, 2012 12:05am

By the way I don’t think your link to the “vegan fantasy-ish fudge” is vegan. The recipe has butter in it…Sorry for all you vegans out there who were getting excited. I am sure you could substitute it for vegan margarine though :)

• February 15, 2012 12:32am

I’m with your other half – to get the best out of what we call “tradies” you shouldn’t be too nice to them. Certainly give them the occasional treat to keep them on side, but if they come to expect the sweeties they’ll drag their heels and you’ll be baking for much longer than you anticipated. Especially if you make them wonders like this!

• hannah
    February 15, 2012 12:51am

I had to unsubscribe you for a while because of some kind of technical glitch. I decided to try again few weeks ago, and all’s well. I missed you. Now I see you’re moving to your own place, and I find myself feeling so excited for you. If you could keep us up on all the moving, workman saga, and set up, I bet we’d all be lapping it up – if you’re not too, too, busy….!
    All the best from western Canada, big hugs!

• February 15, 2012 1:15am

I remember some of my favorite fudge growing up was the one my mom made with marshmallow fluff. Thanks for this great recipe/memory- I can’t wait to try your version!

• Sarah
    February 15, 2012 1:27am

So I haven’t yet tried this recipe with my homemade marshmallow, but I have decidedly become devoted to the stuff: I used it on Thanksgiving on top of sweet potatoes with such a fabulous effect, that I can’t imagine ever buying marshmallows again! It didn’t vanish the way store bought marshmallows always seems to do.
    I used homemade marshmallow cream to make my traditional New England Whoopie Pies and they too were excellent.

I am hooked on homemade marshmallow cream.

Unfortunately I have just made the Orbit cake for my valentine as well as some Macarons today, so this recipe will have to wait until at least this weekend….

• February 15, 2012 2:35am

This is a go-to recipe from my childhood! My mother used to make this all the time. I don’t think I’ve had it in years though. Such nostalgia!!

• Shari
    February 15, 2012 2:36am

Marshmallow creme fudge has always been my favorite, and your recipe is very similar to the one I use. However, I found it odd that you didn’t add any vanilla extract. I’ve always been lazy and don’t chop the walnuts I add to the fudge, and my Mom asked me why the nuts always tasted so much fresher than the nuts she used. I told her that I left them whole, and this way they get sliced right along with the fudge. It really does make a difference.

• gailllc
    February 15, 2012 4:06am

We use this foolproof fudge recipe at the holidays, too. Don’t use parchment, just butter the pan. Throw a hot-water soaked towel underneath for a minute or two when you are ready to turn the fudge out of the pan. The chocolate variety tends to crystallize after just a couple days — add up to 4Tbsp more butter for softer and less crystally results. You can substitute peanut butter for the chocolate, just reduce the recipe butter by 2 Tbsp or so. We make both kinds and get tricky: 2/3 of chocolate batch in one pie pan, 1/3 of chocolate in another; then 2/3 of peanut butter in a third pie pan… and finally, 1/3 of peanut butter goes on top of the 1/3 chocolate for a double decker fudge! YUM!

• Emily
    February 15, 2012 6:39am

Be careful – if they get too used to your sweet treats, they’re going to work even slower so they get to stay on the job longer…. or at least, I would if I were them!

• Whitney
    February 15, 2012 6:39am

Here in Berkeley (land of Chez Panisse), I can’t find marshmallow fluff anywhere! I was looking for it to make a similar recipe that I remembered from childhood. How can it be that you can buy it at Monoprix in Paris and not Safeway, Berkeley Bowl, Andronico’s, CVS or (of course) Whole Foods!?!

• February 15, 2012 6:52am

Danger lurks in cyberspace after 10 p.m. This evening I was lured in by the likes of a fella claiming to currently be residing somewhere in Paris. He devised a trap consisting of marshmallow cream and chocolates…

Trust me, if I find this guy he will have H E double L to pay!

I do not take lightly to having a diet destroyed by such malicious activities.

• February 15, 2012 7:05am

I’ve never seem marshmallow cream here in New Zealand so all I can do is look and be envious.

• Terri
    February 15, 2012 7:06am

Hi Whitney,

I live in the Bay Area too, and buy my fluff at Safeway.

• February 15, 2012 8:22am

Amanda: I had to teach him the concept of “good cop/bad cop” – which I think it another thing that doesn’t translate from English to French. But he got the message. And we’re putting in the kitchen cabinets next week. Allegedly.

Mallory: Heidi’s recipe has does indeed have butter, but she offers a vegan alternative using coconut oil.

Shari: A lot of chocolate, especially those available in the US, already have vanilla in it. But one could certainly add a dash here. I use chocolate extract, although it’s not readily available so I don’t often specify it in recipes.

• Kirk
    February 15, 2012 8:28am

This is much like what we call the Russell Stover’s Fudge recipe where I come from (around Kansas City). My version is made with semisweet chocolate chips, which may seem a little bourgeois. On the other hand, the recipe card I follow comes from my grandmother’s collection, so I have a soft spot for it. But your variation sounds so wonderfully rich that I will have to try it. Thanks for the post.

• Skippy
    February 15, 2012 9:08am

The recipe on the jar of Marshmallow Fluff used to be called “Never Fail Fudge.” When I was in 7th grade, my sister and I tried to make it and we came perilously close to failing, until our older sister intervened and saved the day. Ever since then, I’ve always avoided marshmallow fluff fudge recipes. If I’m going to fail with fudge, I’m going to go down fighting with the old fashioned type!

Regarding the people who want to make this with homemade marshmallows–isn’t the point of using marshmallow fluff that it is a shortcut to all the beating you do to make traditional fudge achieve the correct texture? If so, then it seems like using homemade marshmallows would just be doing a lot of extra work to create an ingredient that’s supposed to save work…

• February 15, 2012 2:18pm

I might question it if this recipe was on any other blog, but I’m so happy to hear that other cooks use stuff like this from time to time! “Desperate times…” is right :-)

• Christianne
    February 15, 2012 8:32pm

Sorry to be so ignorant but… in your horchata recipe, is the rice cooked or raw? I am brand new to cooking and some of the commen sense things just don’t click yet. I love your blog and am learning so much from you. Thank you! I actually purchased The Perfect Scoop a while back and had never made anything in it until a friend was over raving about it. It was then that I realized I already owned it!Everything I’ve made from it has been wonderful.

February 15, 2012 9:11pm

I have always been a pain in the butt, fudge snob. It’s my Mother’s fault as she set the gold standard by only making regular cooked and beaten fudge, so that’s all I knew.. I was in my late 20’s before I had my first taste of the terribly sweet marshmallow fudge. It made every cavity in my teeth scream with pain and if that weren’t enough, I went into fits of coughing/choking from the chocolate/sugar burn that grazed the back of my tongue. I had never had an experience like that from any other candy..and I like sweet candy! Fortunately, I learned to make the beaten fudge pretty well, so I haven’t tried my hand at taming the sweetness of marshmallow fudge. I must admit, I do like how quickly the “cheater” fudge is made and will try your recipe since you seem to have deepened the chocolate flavor enough to counter the strength of the sugar flavor that came through on the piece I choked over! If I cough and live, I’ll be back to let you know about it ;)

• February 15, 2012 9:11pm

That was sweet of you!

• February 15, 2012 9:49pm

Your construction crew loves you I bet. With all these treats you are making them, they might gain a pound or two and eventually slow down the construction process because they are taking more naps than usual. Ha!

Looks delish! Fudge and marshmallow cream together? I’m in.

• February 16, 2012 2:10am

those lucky guys! i would work for your treats, definitely.

• February 16, 2012 6:39am

This adds another item to make late at night. movies, fudge, and my laptop. What could be better!

• February 16, 2012 7:19am

My mom used to make fudge using marshmallow cream when I was a kid during the holidays, so this brings me back to my childhood days. She used milk chocolate, which for me was too sweet, although I consumed the fudge nonetheless (of course) Unsweetened chocolate is a great idea, and I really love that you used roasted peanuts as opposed to the typical walnut saga. I bet the crew working on your apartment loved and appreciated the fudge! Hope you’re staying warm over there and thank you for the stroll down memory lane!

• February 16, 2012 3:34pm

Yummy. This sounds and looks delicious and has just been added to my must-try list.
    Good fudge is not easy to get in Germany, so I have start trying some home-made.

• February 16, 2012 4:21pm

My mom has made this fudge every year for Valentine’s Day as long as I can remember–she uses dark chocolate too. She also makes maple fudge which for whatever reason is called “Smith College” fudge on her recipe card. Anyone know the reason for this name?

• February 16, 2012 5:11pm

Hi David!

I have never seen marshmallow cream before, its intriguing me!
    Your fudge is looking so soft and I bet it melts away in the mouth.
    I am craving for it!

• Merry
    February 16, 2012 5:30pm

We sometimes make homemade marshmallow creme to use in making fudge. It has a nice texture, plus there’s more control over the flavor based on one’s choice of vanilla.

It’s quite lovely in fudge…and no one has ever complained about the leftovers on ice cream either.

• BelleD
    February 16, 2012 7:13pm

Gretchen, here’s a history of fudge and Smith College Fudge.

• Jeanie Brown
    February 16, 2012 7:51pm

Girls at Smith College used to make fudge in their rooms using a small gas burner..at least that is what I’ve heard and why fudge is sometimes named thus!

• Michelle
    February 16, 2012 7:56pm

One of my office mates, who is Swiss, has been craving meringue and double cream for the past month, in fact it seems to have become an obsession….he drools when he describes the caramelized interior….
    You have a post on this apparently delightful sweet….just wondering, how are those meringues made? Are they made using the traditional Swiss meringue recipe?

-the gluttons from office F-55.

• Edward Zamora
    February 16, 2012 10:08pm

Do you have any recipes for glucose intolerant? Thanks.

• Bebe
    February 17, 2012 2:13am

Marshmallow cream (or creme) over good chocolate ice cream is 1/2 of a brilliant sundae we used to buy at Albert Sheetz candy and ice cream store in Pasadena, CA. The Black and White Sunday was a large scoop of good vanilla ice cream with Hot fudge and beside it a large scoop of good chocolate ice cream with Marshmallow Creme. Whipped cream, chopped almonds, yummmmmmmm.

• Bebe
    February 17, 2012 2:47am

Oops. Black and White Sundae.

• Shari
    February 17, 2012 4:34am

Hey David, thanks for the tip about the chocolate extract. I actually happen to have some, and for me any excuse to bake something will do!