1. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Smear a 2-quart (2l) shallow baking dish liberally with butter.
2. Stem and pit the cherries. Lay them in a single layer in the baking dish.
3. In a standard blender, or using an immersion blender and a bowl, mix the eggs, flour, vanilla and almond extracts, ½ cup sugar, and milk together until smooth.
4. Pour the batter over the cherries and sprinkle the fruit and batter with the 3 tablespoons of sugar.
5. Bake the clafoutis until the custard is just set; a knife poked in the center should emerge relatively clean. It’ll take about 45 minutes.