1. To make the crust, mix together the flour, salt, and sugar in a bowl or in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. (You can also make the dough in a food processor.)
2. Add the cubed butter and mix at low speed (if using a stand mixer) until the butter pieces are broken up and about the size of small peas.
3. Add the ice water and mix just until the dough comes together. If necessary, you may need to add another tablespoon or two of ice water. Form the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Roll the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 inch (30cm) circle. Transfer the dough into a 9 inch (23 cm) pie plate letting the dough ease into the pan, rather than pressing it in. Tuck the overhanging dough underneath the top edge of the dough, to create a double width of dough, then crimp the edges and refrigerate until ready to fill.
5. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC) and position the oven rack in the center of the oven.
6. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, brown sugar, syrup, vanilla, salt, melted butter, and bourbon.
7. Stir in the pecans and the chocolate chips then scrape the filling into the pie shell and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the filling puffs up slightly but still feels slightly jiggly and moist in the center.
Let pie cool completely before slicing.