1. Spread the nuts on a baking sheet and roast in a 350F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, stirring once for even toasting.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, pepper, and maple syrup. (In the winter, I put the butter in the bowl and melt it on the radiator.)
3. Add the warm nuts, and stir until the nuts are completely coated. Then stir in the salt.
4. Mix in the pretzels, then spread the mixture back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 12-18 minutes, stirring a couple of time during cooking to make sure the brown sugar isn’t clumping. The exact baking time will vary, but the nuts are done when they are nice and toasty, and the mixture is nicely glazed.
5. Remove from oven and cool completely, separating the nuts and pretzels as they cool.
Once cool, this mixture can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week.