For 2008…Definitely A Good Omen

defensedefumeur.jpg

• January 1, 2008 12:02pm

same here in germany too!
    but your post is the first positive one i hear about this. ;) i’m glad about it too… specially in bars and cafes.
    happy new year!

• January 1, 2008 12:36pm

Ah, and now this asthmatic can FINALLY go back to Paris.

Happy New Year, David…

• Val
    January 1, 2008 12:45pm

Yahoo! Three cheers for non fumeur!!

• January 1, 2008 12:58pm

Fantastic! I’ll never forget watching people smoke in Paris while eating with little puffs of smoke squirting out of their mouths as they chewed. Can’t wait to go back and enjoy the wonderful food in a smoke free environment.

Happy New Year!

• January 1, 2008 3:32pm

Finally!!! There could hardly be a better way to start the year…

• January 1, 2008 3:36pm

YAY!!!

• Joanne
    January 2, 2008 1:50am

wohooo!

• January 2, 2008 3:25am

Can’t wait to head into the local café and see if they’re really enforcing it.

I have to say, out here in the middle of nowhere, I seriously doubt it! It will take some time.

• January 2, 2008 3:52am

What’s interesting is the people saying, “Well…it’s just a part of French culture.”

I’m old enough to remember when it was part of American culture too, a big part in fact. And I don’t even mind cigarette smoke all that much. But the chain-smoking that I’ve seen is amazing. Teenage girls going through half-a-pack during dinner…or more.

It’s like watching someone have a glass of wine vs. watching someone s&$#*t-faced drunk.

In the end, I think people will comply. Because the only thing the French like more than a cigarette is the chance to complain about something!

; )

• January 2, 2008 12:23pm

The only thing better than looking forward to my Paris trip in March is looking forward to eating with NO smoke! :)

• Lesley
    January 4, 2008 10:01pm

Wow, la France sans fumee…that will be interesting to see. Most of my French friends are non-smokers, so they are happy about this.

• auntie jo
    January 6, 2008 4:10am

yes, a really good thing!
    happy new year to you! Plein de bonnes choses ;-))

• Mariangela
    January 6, 2008 1:58pm

Hey David – Did you see that Emeril Lagasse referred to your post on his blog?? kudos…BAM!

• January 7, 2008 4:35am

Hi Mariangela: Thanks for the tip-off! Emeril’s actually a very, very nice man and I once was lucky enough to have dinner with him.

He made me cry too!
    (Which is another story…which someday I’ll tell…)