Its Time Has Come…and Gone

Well, they may claim to “Sell no wine before its time”

paul masson

…but they don’t mention anything about after it…

dumping rose2

• Kim
    July 28, 2008 11:37am

The Paul Masson carafe reminds me of the carafes sold with Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix that everyone had in the 70’s (before we all started mixing our own Hidden Valley Ranch dressing from packets).

Our rose’ of choice was always Mateus, from which you saved the bottle for melting colored candle wax onto. My best friend’s family always had Lancers, also a good bottle for melting candle wax.

• July 28, 2008 12:11pm

Kim: Few people believe me, but I credit those Good Seasoning’s bottles with launching my career as a baker. I loved all that careful measuring!

But I only liked the tear-shaped bottles with the green tops. Once they switched to the cut-glass round ones, with the plastic stoppers, the magic was over.

• July 28, 2008 12:12pm

‘a picture is worth …’
    I’m curious about how the wine was, what you thought about it (it’s clear what you thought of it)..
    Rosés are making a big comeback after years of mediocrity (at least here nel estati uniti).. it’s refreshing to find many of the current generation rosés are quite good, not at all like the lancers or mateus of a generation ago..
    of course, paul masson shipping rosé to france is like shipping rice to japan…
    ciao…

• Mona
    July 28, 2008 12:34pm

LOL! I love that 2nd pic….it says it all!

• July 28, 2008 12:55pm

I thought their slogan was they “will sell no wine before it is June”? At least that is how I always said it… or was the Gallo?

• July 28, 2008 1:42pm

You are a brave man. I hope your pallet has forgiven you.

• July 28, 2008 1:47pm

So many wines have become the butt of inside jokes in my circle for the same reason… Who doesn’t love to hate a really bad wine?

Just wanted to pop in and say that I really enjoy reading your blog; it almost makes me giggle more than a *good* bottle of wine…

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve posted a link to your page on my own blog – I refer so many friends (repeatedly) to you…

Thanks for the immensely entertaining reading!

• July 28, 2008 2:24pm

Clever title! I completely forgot about their slogan. Your second picture is beautiful. Those colors in the cascade of wine make me want to stand underneath an icy cold rosé waterfall. Naked.

• July 28, 2008 3:20pm

I was wondering if you were actually going to drink it! You sacrifice a lot for your readers, David :)

• Dave
    July 28, 2008 3:29pm

I love the photo. The table cloth. The very French chair. The tray. So funny to see that bottle there.

The grammar-bitch in me is obliged to point out that the possessive of “it” is its — not it’s. But after a carafe or two of Paul Masson I’d be slinging apostrophes around too.

Oops. Yes, it was definitely the wine. (Although I really can’t use that excuse since after one sniff, I was scared to drink it!) -dl

• July 28, 2008 3:55pm

Well, you got your money’s worth, didn’t you? :)

• July 28, 2008 5:20pm

Hilarious! The first thing I saw was that carafe that reminds me of my childhood in the late 70’s. I feel like in the background of every picture that was taken of me between ages 0 and 5, there were a few of these things in the background. Ok, ok… I wasn’t drinking it, my parents were! Memories. Let’s keep these memories just that – in the past!

• Laurie
    July 28, 2008 5:30pm

Too funny!

• Orson Welles
    July 28, 2008 7:54pm

Mahaaaaaa the French… champagne has always been celebrated for itssexcelenssse.

There is a California champagne by Paul Massssson…. inspired by that same French excellence. Itss fermented in the bottle and like the best… French champagne its vinnntagedated. So Paul Masson’s-

*cut*

• July 28, 2008 10:34pm

This has nothing to do with wine (sadly) but I wanted to say thank you for a much earlier post of yours about making jam with a glut of cherries. That post gave me the guts to try freelancing a little bit with an abundance of sour cherries from my friend Allison’s trees, and the results were delicious: cherry-ginger jam with orange zest, cherry-amaretto jam, and spiced cherry amaretto jam.

I’m now hooked on your blog… in that sitting-at-the-feet-of-an-expert kind of way. :)

• July 28, 2008 11:55pm

In the years that my husband and I have traveled all over Europe, it just staggers our understanding – on MOST menus they list Paul Masson. I mean . . . really . . . nobody here in the U.S. drinks Paul Masson. I don’t even think we see it on grocery shelves. I’ve always wondered what the winery does to get that kind of marketing recognition – and to keep getting it. If Europeans order the stuff and think THAT’s what American wine is all about, how sad.

• July 29, 2008 1:44am

Thank goodness! I would have seriously doubted your “taste” if the result had been anything but…. How about some Bandol rosé??

• July 29, 2008 9:56am

would it be possible to keep this wine and use it as a vinegar for some pickles ? (or do bad wines make not-so-good vinegars ?)

• July 29, 2008 2:33pm

Those bottles stored many vinagrettes in my mothers place. She is tee total, never drank a drop out of her own choice which probably explains why I remember those bottles from my childhood (she doesn’t have a clue about booze). And yes, I believe it was my first bottle of wine I bought and thought to myself “why anybody would subject their tastebuds to this sadistic adult juice from hell”.

• Lu
    July 30, 2008 6:44pm

David, you are just so dang humorous. What thoughts whirl around in that brain of yours?! I remember the Masson and Lancers bottles lining the windowsill in my first apartment. Did you actually carry this across the pond with you?!

• July 31, 2008 6:41am

I am quite certain the first bottle of wine I bought as a newly legal drinker was Paul Masson. Or perhaps it was Annie Green Springs…

• Laura Stokes-Gray
    August 6, 2008 8:55pm

Hoo-boy … I remember those Masson wines in the carafe … let’s see, it was the 70s and I was newly married. At least I didn’t buy Boone’s Farm apple wine.

David – thanks for a good laugh. How about a little Blue Nun?

• Wine Educator
    October 19, 2008 8:22am

I am a wine educator mostly concentrating on the wines of Europe, especially France and Italy. Paul Masson has had this carafe concept since the 60’s. This current style is only slightly different. Paul Masson was one of the earlier mass market wines from America and one of the first that the French got to know since over 40 years ago when it was exported to France. Marketing is a funny thing. We all buy a lot of stuff that we should have no reason to want. Therefore, it isn’t so strange that the land of Bandol, Tavel, rose d’Anjou and all those from the Rhone valley would show interest in Paul Masson. Rose wines are not serious wines, not even the French ones. The French may well be curious about our roses. Paul Masson may not be superb but their products are wholesome and at reasonable prices. The spirit to try something different is probably more prevalent in France than in America. The carafe is a useful thing to have too. I have no issue with it. Try Mateus again. After all these years, it still stands up quite well as a good refreshing summer rose. The current issues are a bit drier than those of the 70’s to cater to changing taste preference. Don’t be snobs. Just enjoy.

• the Baron
    September 8, 2010 1:31am

“We will sell no wine…before its time.”

The wine was pretty horrible, still is, I imagine, but the carafes are great for use as water or juice carafes. I have a couple of them that I use just for that. Makes me wish we had saved more of them, back in the 70’s.

Prost!