Le Relooking

At long last, after plenty of tinkering, I decided to lighten things up with a relooking, as they say in France, with a fresh, brand-new design for the site.

The new look is easier for you to read and more organized. There’s less-distracting colors, and far more order.You’ll find the archives neatly-arranged and categories on my spiffy new sidebar, a better and faster search engine, more space for larger photos, and most importantly, leaving and reading comments will go a lot more smoothly.

Few of you probably remember when the site was launched way back in 1999….

Adorable, wasn’t I?

Since then, much has changed and evolved. Except my hair, which isn’t evolving quite as much as I wish.

Thanks to web whiz Jesse of Plasticmind, who did the marvelous redesign, you’ll be seeing a few more changes in the site. In the coming weeks, I’ll be updating the information on the pages linked at the top of the screen. There will be more frequently-updated information about Paris, as well as news about classes and chocolate tours, and other things that I’m planning on adding. So you might notice a few things swapping back and forth, so please bear with us while we work out any the kinks.

And—I realized that I have some unfinished business with you.

Months ago I posted about the curious tins of tuna I bought, but never opened. And I know you’ve all been patiently waiting for me to make good on a promise I made a while back.

So I finally mustered up the nerve to open one up….

prune tuna

Er…sorry about that.

Well that was unexpected. I’d better hold off on opening the second tin…and save that for the next relooking.

Enjoy the new look!

• July 7, 2008 7:54pm

Ah, room to breath. Love the clean, uncluttered look. Congrats to both you and Jesse; I know what a long and wind-y way it’s been.

• EB
    July 7, 2008 8:03pm

Absolutely love the redesign! Really, really lovely.

• July 7, 2008 8:24pm

The new design is great, David. And the photos really pop on the white background! Nice job.

• Kathleen
    July 7, 2008 8:43pm

I like it – I like the uncluttered look and the white space! I also look forward to reading about Paris, from here in Australia (I can only dream, right now…)

• Linda
    July 7, 2008 8:46pm

This is so great and yes you ARE adorable (ps I KNOW), still.

• July 7, 2008 8:50pm

The new design is absolutely wonderful! Love love love the simplicity. And the photos look amazing on the white background!

• July 7, 2008 8:55pm

Looks really fresh and breezy!

• Earline Ahonima
    July 7, 2008 9:02pm

LOVE the new website. It’s elegant, cleaner-looking, and loads much more quickly. One nit: I would change “less colors” to “fewer colors.”

• July 7, 2008 9:08pm

“Félicitations, dude,” as my Bronx-born-but-French-schooled pal Tarek once said. That’s a really beautiful Alice blue (or some other shade) there to the right.

• July 7, 2008 9:14pm

Bitchin or fierce as the waiters at an old resto used to say!
    Are those prunes in that tuna?

• July 7, 2008 9:18pm

I love redesigning, it always feels like cleaning house! Make sure you keep taking screenshots of the old site – you’ll want it later :) Looks good!

• July 7, 2008 9:22pm

Love the new look — light and airy, easy to find things, and room for growth. Congratulations!

• July 7, 2008 9:41pm

Love the fresh look, love what you do. Beauty (but the tuna….)!

• Laura
    July 7, 2008 10:02pm

Mazel Tov! The new design is gorgeous. You both did a great job. I can’t wait to see more.

• July 7, 2008 10:26pm

love it

• July 7, 2008 10:33pm

Don’t worry, you’re still SO adorable. And I LOVE the new look–so airy, clean and beautiful–like a spa vacation in the Texas Hill Country. Plus, with a cup of mayo that can of tuna could be airy, clean and beautiful, too!

• magnoliachestnut
    July 7, 2008 10:46pm

The new look is a pleasant surprise! The pages look so neat and clean – it’s nice to be able to really focus on the wealth of information you have for your readers. I quite enjoy your writing – it’s so humorous and a lot of times (in reference to Parisian lifestyle), right on.

• July 7, 2008 11:09pm

Ugh… the new site design is MUCH more delicious looking than the insides of that can of “tuna.” Any stray cats in your neighborhood looking for a meal?

July 7, 2008 11:36pm

Hi David…I’m new to your site. I found you through the Smitten Kitchen. Deb speaks David..fluently. Love your site and am plowing my way through your archives. You’re a funny, funny guy, I love your stories and the recipes are catching my fancy too. I’m a novice baker and am learning so much. Between you and Deb and a few others that I’m leeching onto..I’m getting better and better. I’m a neighbor, just down the fwy..in San Jose!

• Terrie
    July 8, 2008 12:32am

David, it’s really beautiful. I love your new look. Congratulations.

• July 8, 2008 2:22am

super bon!
    Love le Relooking.

(but not that tuna – berk)

• Helena
    July 8, 2008 2:29am

Yes, indeed! Welcome to the bright side, David! Well, it is easier on these old bespectacled eyes of mine and brings out your gorgeous photos too. Congratulations!

Oh, that can of tuna reminds me of our Swedish surströmming, which I have never been able to eat myself! Correction – never been able to come near an opened can actually…

• July 8, 2008 2:51am

Love the new David- very CLEAN!

• July 8, 2008 4:57am

What a veritable feast for the eyes! “Less is more”, we’re agreed with Ludwig Mies van der Rohe.

• July 8, 2008 5:47am

Beautiful relooking (or reuloukingeuh), so clean and fresh and clear! Congratulations and bonne continuation…

• latenac
    July 8, 2008 6:01am

Very nice redesign and loads much faster as well. Congrats!

• July 8, 2008 6:11am

It looks great David – and I didn’t know you started your site nearly 10 years ago – you are adorable always! kx

• July 8, 2008 7:01am

Alors, c’est formidable! Felicitations!

• Josie
    July 8, 2008 7:43am

Looks great! And it loads much faster.

• dtmt
    July 8, 2008 8:12am

love the fresh new look! cheers.

• Krissy
    July 8, 2008 8:25am

Okay, you almost gave me a heart attack! You don’t realize how dependent you are on reading your favorite blog every morning until you click the bookmark and see the whole thing changed! My first thought was ‘oh no! He shut down the site!’. Luckily, it is just a great looking redesign!

I will admit, I really did love the ‘comfort food’ appeal of the darker colors and overall scheme before, that this looks fantastic too :-)

• Brenda
    July 8, 2008 9:16am

Great new design! I’m happy so long as your great recipes, great entries, and great smile never change!

• July 8, 2008 9:17am

Thanks, and I’m so glad you all like the redesign so much. The old pattern will be mourned, but this is so much fresher and brighter, and easier to read and navigate. I also changed to servers to a new and much more efficient one so that pages load faster and there shouldn’t be any error messages in our collective futures.

We’re still tinkering with the bones, colors, feel, and adding content to the various pages.

I appreciate all the great feedback & kind words!

• July 8, 2008 9:20am

C’est tres different mais j’aime beaucoup. Very clear and easy on the eyes. Reading your blog is always a delight no matter what the look or “relooking” ;-)

• Fred
    July 8, 2008 9:37am

While your content has always been A+, your look has now gone from frumpy to fabulous. Congrats.

• Joan
    July 8, 2008 9:42am

I thught I’d linked up to some phoney site!!
    I must admit I liked the chocolate brown but a human being can get used to anything in 15 days (apparently – read that somewhere, but can’t remember where…)
    All the best
    from gorgeous Milan (well, today anyway!)

• July 8, 2008 11:54am

Love the new look!

• July 8, 2008 11:55am

Looks fabulous and it’s easier on the eyes.

• July 8, 2008 12:08pm

I love the clean new look. It’s like someone opened up the curtains.

• AMR
    July 8, 2008 6:06pm

Another wow here on the new layout & design. Super nice.
    And it was almost the one year anniversary (!) for the festive cans of tuna. You could have pushed/floated a candle in it.
    What will you play with now on the coffee table? :)

• July 8, 2008 6:38pm

Congrats David! The new design has a much cleaner look and is indeed very organized. Love it!

• Belle
    July 9, 2008 1:18am

You’ll *always* be adorable ;)

• Sandra
    July 9, 2008 6:29am

classy, elegant, sophisticated, chic, fantastic, beautiful, delightful, enjoyable……
    fabulous re-design—very impressive–I didn’t visit for a couple of days and came back to find this–wonderful new blog-site

• July 9, 2008 10:45am

love the new look, so clean and inspiring! and still adorable!

the can of tuna, though….blech. not so adorable, yow.

• July 9, 2008 2:56pm

I love the new look – it’s really refreshing indeed :) /But I’d read your blog even if you’d use white fonts on black background etc/

• July 9, 2008 3:05pm

I must say David, I am relieved and happy that you decided to redesign the site – that yellow was just too much for me!! And the way the coding was a bit funny so that every time it loaded the columns jumped all over the place? Massive improvement! It’s clean and fresh and shows off all your fabulous content just how it should.

• July 9, 2008 4:21pm

Great job! Très joli.

• July 9, 2008 4:25pm

Sorry everyone about the tuna. It was quite a shock to me too, when I opened that tin!

Helen: Thanks! The old site has a bunch of funky code and stuff that was making it do that. It freaked me out, too. And the error messages were making me go ballistic.

I also upgraded to a really good server, which helped a lot—nothing is too good for my readers : )

PS: One pal told me I should change my comment verification word since not everyone knows that I live in Paris. Hmmm…

• July 9, 2008 5:54pm

Love the new design David! Nice, clean, crisp!

• July 9, 2008 8:04pm

David, the new design is much better! Clean, simple and fresh-cool. I liked it! :) Well, tuna? No, thanks! heheheh

• Paula
    July 10, 2008 1:52am

Why is your photo buried among the ads?

• July 10, 2008 8:16am

I was never here before the “relooking” but really like this one. Beautiful site, i miei complimenti! :)

• July 10, 2008 10:24am

David, I really like the new look!

• July 10, 2008 4:06pm

I also love the new look. And yes, you are adorable!

• Helen
    July 11, 2008 2:54am

I know the new design is crisp & clean, but somhow I feel nostalgia for the old one as it was so felt so warm & cozy with the brown background …but hey! I’m open to changes!

July 11, 2008 5:06pm

Hmm, I too miss the warm feel of the old site, but I guess that look is over. As long as there’s still plenty of chocolate.

As for the tuna, it looks like it would have a lot more flavor than the run-of-the-mill solid white packed in water stuff sold in US grocery stores. For Helena: it looks NOTHING like surstromming — that is truly scary stuff. Having survived a surstromming party last summer I could share photos and stories, though thankfully not the stench.

Glad to see your sense of humor is intact, David.

• July 13, 2008 9:58am

Yeah for the new relooking !!!!

What is wrong with your hair? You don’t like French coiffeurs ?

• Donna Sevilla
    July 13, 2008 1:23pm

I like the new site. But the Live Feed that I had from your old site no longer works and I didn’t see a link on the new site for Live Feed (possibly I missed it). I enjoy those RSS feeds.

• July 14, 2008 9:13am

Very, very nice. Clean, crisp and it loads much faster.

• J. Bo
    July 14, 2008 4:39pm

Loving the new design, David (the previous barf-butterscotch-colored background gave me headaches… ’cause I refused to stop visiting despite the migraine trigger).

Also, you’re still adorable.

• July 14, 2008 8:43pm

Great idea ! Pleased to read you on this clear background !

• July 15, 2008 5:13pm

Oh this looks wonderful – congrats on the new design. I’ve recently pushed out SR 2.0 myself, it’s nice to have a change!!

• July 15, 2008 8:03pm

The redesign looks fantastic! Jesse did a great job. :-) Kudos!