For some reason, people keep asking, “Why do you live in Paris?”
1. No one freaks when they find little black flecks in their vanilla ice cream.
2. If introduced as a pastry chef and cookbook author, I hear oh-la-la la’s instead of a litany of complaints about everyone’s diet.
3. The chocolate popsicles you buy at the supermarket are studded with real cocoa nibs.
And no one freaks about it.
4. Teenagers have three-course meals with their friends in restaurants. With wine.
5. Coffee, water, and wine are all the same price.
6. I live next door to the best croissants in Paris.
7. I can go to Laduree for a dark chocolate macaron, Berthillon for a superb scoop of their new salted butter-caramel ice cream, Pierre Hermé for an Ispahan fix, Poilâne for just-baked, crusty levain bread, and Jean-Charles Rochoux for chocolate pavés…whenever I want.
Every day if I want.
8. You can talk pharmacists into giving you cool prescription drugs if you have a good story.
(I don’t personally know if this is true, but I’ve, um…heard it is.)
9. I can buy a mind-altering selection of cheeses from my fromagerie for way less than the equivalent of $10.
10. Lucques olives…
…and the open-air markets!
Coming Soon: Ten Things I Hate About Paris…!