Reines-Claudes Plums

The first of the Reines-Claudes plums are at the market.

reineclaude2.jpg

These tiny, super-sweet little green plums are 18% sugar, one of the highest percentages of all fruits. The true French reines-claudes plums are grown in Moissac, near Toulouse, and are available for just a short time during August.

Get ’em while you can…

• bushpigeon
    August 6, 2006 11:37am

The look like what are sold as ‘greengages’ here in New Zealand. Are they the same?

• Ash
    August 6, 2006 11:52am

David, I had some of these on Friday and I wrote about them and linked to you because:

My 6 year old son remembered them from last year after I had read about them in your blog and bought some in the store and then went back later and bought another four pounds of them!

You have made one little boy a very very happy young man. He loves these plums.

• August 6, 2006 7:35pm

We used to grow them when I was a kid. I LOVE Reine Claude plums! Ca me donne faim, du coup.

• Bea at La Tartine Gourmande
    August 6, 2006 7:42pm

I have a confession. You make me jealous. Don’t even mention when the quetsches or the mirabelles will be in season!

• August 6, 2006 10:55pm

I’m almost certain Reine Claude and greengages – as they are called in Britain, New Zealand and Australia – are one and the same (or very close to it). They make the loveliest jam and are superb after a gentle stewing.

• Janet
    August 7, 2006 1:54am

“la reine claude” was named after Claude de France, François Ier first wife.

• August 7, 2006 3:29am

I never knew what they were called but when we lived in Andorra they flooded the local markets this time of year. Yummy plums!

• August 7, 2006 12:17pm

Is there a guide somewhere to the sugar content of fruits. What percentage is a pineapple? These things I must know.

• August 7, 2006 12:25pm

Conor: There may be a guide in Harold McGee’s excellent book, On Food and Cooking (which every cook should own). He’s very thorough and the chapters on fruit are very comprehensive.

• August 9, 2006 2:21pm

Oh, I LOVE those things! Especially when the green skin starts to go a little translucent and goldish-yellow in parts. David, you certainly know how to make a girl jealous…

• August 9, 2006 4:14pm

Beautiful! I love plums, but I’ve never tried green ones. To bad I’m so far away!

• August 16, 2006 12:27pm

With some difficulty but eventual success I made some seriously delicious reine claude jam last week, down in the Dordogne valley. If you’re interested, you can read about it here: http://www.feminish.net/2006/08/09/jam/