Ici: Ice cream shop, in Berkeley

Thanks to everyone who came to the ice cream tasting and booksigning at Ici last weekend. In French, Ici means ‘here’…and although by now I should say I was definitely ‘there’, it was nice to meet so many of you nonetheless and glad you all got your licks in!

icione.jpgicitwo.jpg

I hadn’t tasted Mary Canales’ ice creams and sorbets in her jewel-like shop, which I’d heard so much about (and I got one of her prime recipes for The Perfect Scoop.) But one lick of her smooth, uber-dreamy Chicory-Chocolate Chip and a few quickly-stolen spoonfuls of Coconut Sherbet I managed between signing books, and I could see why she’s got anxious lines out the door from opening until closing.

Appreciate the big turnout at Ici, and for those of you who live in the Seattle area, I’ll be heading up there this coming weekend teaching classes at Sur La Table on Friday and Saturday, as well as conducting a booksigning and chocolate-tasting on Saturday afternoon at Theo chocolate.

See you there!

(Also, I’ve been posting photos of my trip on my Flickr page, if you’d like to see how much fun I’ve been having and some of the great food and folks, including chefs and food blogger friends, I’ve encountered on my tour.)

• Heather
    June 26, 2007 1:14pm

I just received The Perfect Scoop yesterday, and could barely put it down to write this note. I very nearly pulled an all-night ice cream making-a-thon! What really impressed me was the originality of the recipes included- tastes and ideas that would seem the extraterrestrial domain of chefs and artisans made extremely accessible and inviting to cooks of all skills! THIS attitude and openness and innovation is exactly what I’ve been seeking to elevate not only my own ice cream making endeavors, but any and all culinary pursuits. This is a modern classic. Bravo, David! My hopper’s in the freezer right now!

• June 26, 2007 2:13pm

I just received your book as an early birthday gift and am so inspired by it. Cools me down just flipping through the pages. Thanks (grandma) and David!

• Andi
    June 26, 2007 5:08pm

oh David,
    YA did it again for me..THANKS..Loving your new book……”The Perfect Scoop”
    My grand daughter loves snow cones……I make granitas now…….who Knew?..summer friuts r great to play with now…..
    I made the cantaloupe granita today..I used a teaspoon of F Squeezed lemons,but I also added some Limoncello liqueur…It was delish and I wasn’t sure how it would rake after freezing ..It turned out fine.lol..The sweetness of the cantaloupes were enhanced (to me anyway) by the limoncello.
    We love the taste of lemons….
    Your photos in this book make me want to try this whole book…OMG…YUMMMMMM
    Congratulations…another winner…

• Gail
    June 26, 2007 5:14pm

Brian received an ice cream maker from his gf as a birthday (today)present, so we’ll be making your ice creams this weekend! Great to see you at Ici and FogCityNews.

• June 26, 2007 6:58pm

I knew you were going to be there, but I had an ice cream order to pick up and deliver to a party and I couldn’t wait for the book signing to begin. Maybe I’ll get another chance some other time… :)

• June 26, 2007 7:01pm

PS – Did you try the Candied Cocoa Nib? It was fabulous.

• Dan
    June 26, 2007 8:24pm

I stayed outside with the stroller and let my wife go inside to say hi and get the book. Would’ve been nice to say hi and thanks for the good recipes and writing. I’ve been reading the book the last couple nights wondering which one to try first… Too bad “all of the above” isn’t an option! (-:

• June 27, 2007 11:42am

Hi Christine; Sorry not to meet : (
    I was at ICI for about two hours signing books, so either your caught me at the and, or you got your ice cream and bolted! : )

(And didn’t try the cocoa nib…next time…)

• coty
    June 27, 2007 1:55pm

i just got some theo chocolate for the first time last week–it was the cocoa nib brittle bar. but the one i really want to try is the one with salt and breadcrumbs. if you taste it, please let us know how it is.

• coty
    June 27, 2007 1:55pm

• coty
    June 27, 2007 1:55pm

• June 28, 2007 2:54am

Delurking after a year of dedicated readership because I finally picked up a copy of The Perfect Scoop. I’m sure you’re so over this comment, but you truly make the world a better, more joyous place. Sure, uncovering the mystery of the disappearing bees would be nice, as would the immediate ascendancy of more liberal judges on the Supreme Court. But a world without Pear-Pecorino Ice Cream? I shudder to think!

Sorry to have missed you last Thursday at Fog City, but I would have probably been too in awe to speak. Hope you’re having a lovely time stateside!

(BTW, is Santung on your list of SF ethnic eats? Based on your PPQ, Korea House, and El Castilito picks, I am fairly confident you would LOVE this place.)

• KateC
    June 28, 2007 12:22pm

It was very cool getting to meet “The David” in person! And, yes, that is what we have started to call you in my household since The Perfect Scoop arrived (although all previous books are just as worthy). There is no other David. You make our tastebuds oh-so-happy.

• B
    June 28, 2007 6:00pm

It was a fun and tasty class in Los Gatos! And it was great to finally meet you after reading your blog for over a year. Now I’ll have to go dig my ice cream maker out of storage.

Come back soon!!!

• June 28, 2007 7:31pm

Thanks everyone for your kind words and it was a pleasure to meet all of you too! Glad you were all well-fed and am looking forward to heading up to Seattle this weekend before heading home, to my comfy bed : )

• Lola
    June 29, 2007 3:49am

I hope Seattle treats you right! I know Theo Chocolate will (coming from an ex-Theo tour guide). Not that you are busy or anything, but say hi to them for me! And have a PB&J confection.

• Jane
    June 29, 2007 9:34am

My friend Steve Sando (Rancho Gordo) told me that you bought some of his beans while you were in SF. They are the BEST beans on the planet: heirloom and fresh.

Now what about a sweet bean icecream? Something….mochiesque?

• June 29, 2007 4:03pm

Jane: Steve is fabulous. What a treat to meet him and I stashed a couple of bags in beans in my luggage. And you’re in luck! There is a recipe for candied red beans in The Perfect Scoop. It’s a Japanese-inspired recipe, via Hawaii. Check ’em out.

Lola: I can’t wait to visit Theo. I love their chocolate and am looking forward to sampling more during our tasting event.

Coty: I have tried the Theo bar with salted breadcrumbs in it and it’s perhaps my favorite…so far (!)

• June 29, 2007 4:39pm

It really looks like you’ve been having a great time, David! I love the photos!

• Jane
    June 30, 2007 8:43pm

“Standing in line at Ici last Sunday, I felt a slight frisson of goosebumps on my left arm as I looked to my left to see you walk by me then turn sharply to the right and across the room to greet the two young ladies waiting for you. Kisses were exchanged, a few words, then you walked close to me again, but just as my hand tentatively reached out to touch you on the shoulder to say hello, you turned and walked into the back of the store, out of my sight. Forever, on that day anyway. Sigh.”

Awww, that’s so sad! So near yet so far….
    sigh.