Garrett’s Caramel Corn, NYC

garrettscaramelcorn.jpg

Last time I was in Chicago, it was a few weeks before Christmas and I joined the queue for Garrett’s Caramel Corn. The line wasn’t that long…or so it seemed, and when people told me the wait was two hours I didn’t believe them. That is, until after I’d waited for 20 minutes and barely moved three steps forward.

So I left and decided to forget about it.

But later that night, I was, like, “Damn, I am so craving my Garrett’s.”

And the next day I joined the line again only to be subjected to another endless wait. Although I’m Parisian and believe that lines are only for other people, I quickly deduced that I’d better not take cuts in front of any of those hardy midwestern-types who could kick my butt back across the Atlantic.

I left empty-handed and sad—but who isn’t more thrilled than I am that Garrett’s opened in New York City? Who’s happier than I am now?

If you go, get a mixed bag; half-caramel and half-cheese corn. While I normally shy away from ‘cheese-flavored’ snacks, Garrett’s cheese corn is insanely-good and I’ve been known to plow through a 3-gallon drum of the mix in a startling short time.

I just wonder when they’re going to open in Paris.
If they do, that’ll be the end of me.

Garrett’s
560 5th Avenue
and
242 W 34th St/1 Penn Plaza

• Rona
    October 3, 2007 7:13pm

Thanks very much! I’ve gained 20lbs since you’ve been here. 5lbs Sunday at City Bakery from the pretzel croissants (deelish) and the shots of yummy Baileys! The remaining 15lbs are from reading about your food escapades. Bagels & lox, pizza, and now Garrett’s Caramel Corn (who knew?). Now I do and I’m afraid I won’t be able to resist. How do you stay so cute and trim?

• October 3, 2007 10:33pm

Oh David,caramel cheese? Like you’re so into the naughty kinda food that hardens arteries, shame on you!

That is why I left early on sunday, couldn’t fathom eating croissant pretzels, drink Bailey’s and try to come home to my wife explaining the crumbs on my lips and the minty breath! Where is your next food adventure in the city? When are you headed back, for really good eats go to Public for brunch or dinner!

Jeremy

• October 3, 2007 11:11pm

Have you tried Dale and Thomas? Is it better than that? They used to have at least one retail location on the Upper West Side and it was pretty incredible stuff. It was always crowded so I was surprised to see they closed. Though disappointing, it was probably best for my waist-line.

• fabrice
    October 4, 2007 6:04am

Why wait for them to open shop in France when they ship internationally ?

Anyway, thanks for tip and please keep them coming !

• October 4, 2007 8:07am

fabrice: What makes you think I haven’t already explored that option!?

izzy’s mama: Dale and Thomas?
    Hmmm…that’s nearby…

• October 4, 2007 9:09am

Next time you’re in Chicago with a craving for Garrett’s you should head for one of their locations besides the one on Michigan Avenue–that one always has a line out the door. The Jackson shop (near the Art Institute) and the Randolph shop (near the big Marshall Fields, err I mean Macys) tend to have much shorter waits.

• Fred
    October 4, 2007 10:42am

No sympathy here…I offered to deliver some Garrett’s to your door.

Someone told me yesterday that Haagen Dazs has come out with Caramel Pear ice cream. Haven’t found it yet, but I doubt it will be as good as yours. Know anything about it?

• October 4, 2007 11:05am

Yum — you’re right, the Chicago Mix is the best! (Have they changed the name since they opened a shop in NYC?) My husband’s office was right by a Garrett’s, so I could have him bring home a little bag whenever I needed a fix.

Alas, his new office is no longer near Garrett’s and I’m really craving some now that you’ve posted this!

• Sarie
    October 4, 2007 12:21pm

Omigosh the picture is enough to get me going!! …and I’m usually satisfied by measley Crunch-n-Munch! Though I will say there’s a lovely little popped corn shop up the road from me on Highway 24 just east of Woodland Park, CO, that makes heavenly caramel corn. Not that you’d ever be in this neck of the woods!

• October 4, 2007 12:36pm

Welcome to town! Before you leave you must go to Barney Greengrass. The place is an institution and it puts your lox and cream cheese at Zabars to shame :)
    Happy eating around our wonderous city.

• Fabrice
    October 4, 2007 1:06pm

David, please tell me their website has a glitch and it’s the only reason why France is replaced with US on the delivery address form. Please.

If they dont, that’s it, i’ve had it. I’m signing up with a mail forwarding service. Now that my wife has seen the Chicago water tower box design there’s no turning back.

• Fabrice
    October 4, 2007 1:08pm

Oops, sorry, i forgot the “deliver to france” after “if they don’t”.

• October 4, 2007 3:59pm

The lines tend to be lite at New York Garrett’s, which I tend to find a reverse deterrent.
    I would love to become discouraged and leave in disgust at the long wait.
    The only solution is to avoid 34th street at all costs.
    Garrett’s is a dangerous place and I hope our mayor soon outlaws it!

• October 4, 2007 4:35pm

David, you crack me up! So not that I don’t believe you, but what’s so good about Garret’s popcorn compared to other places?

• Lu
    October 4, 2007 5:14pm

Which reminds me! I am still kicking myself for not taking your class last December when you were in the Windy City. Coming back anytime soon?

• Jane
    October 4, 2007 6:55pm

I’m nuts about caramel corn. I can’t resist it. Even your photo made me crazy, damn you.

• Fabrice
    October 4, 2007 8:07pm

Problem solved, they DO ship to Europe. You just have to contact them by phone or email as the online store can’t process foreign orders.

• Photolicious
    October 5, 2007 4:21am

Bonjour,

Vous avez un beau blog, tous les choses delicieux!

I love reading your blog because it has all these nice food and sweet stuff, but remember, eat in moderation!

Do visit my photo blog:

• Keri
    October 5, 2007 3:14pm

I’ve lived in Chicago for about 12 years, but only tried Garrett’s very recently. It was probably better for waistline that way. The caramel corn is so buttery and delicious.

Incidentally, remember the Ben & Jerry’s ice cream flavor, Concession Obsession? I’m pretty sure it included caramel corn. Weirdos. ;)

• October 8, 2007 7:01pm

I remember waiting in a 15 minute line (before trying their caramel-pecan & caramel-cashew popcorns. Insanely good, so good that when a friend of mine was leaving for Turkey for good, this was my parting gift.

• Lesley
    October 8, 2007 10:52pm

I get Garrett’s in Chicago…LOVE IT. My version of heaven has me chomping on a bottomless bag of Garrett’s caramel/cheese popcorn while remaining slender and fabulous…

• October 9, 2007 11:14pm

I grew up in Chicago and can still remember the smell of caramel popcorn when I would walk past Garrett’s… mmm. I’ve tried a recipe off of Allrecipes for caramel popcorn that was quite good and a close second to Garrett’s. It’s been a long time though since I’ve had the real deal though!