Le Parisien…at the supermarket

C’est vrai…

• Sandy
    April 14, 2008 9:21am

That doesn’t look like a Walmart! :-) Hope you had a great time in the USA. Hope you make it to Kansas on one of your trips back. Have a great day!

• April 14, 2008 9:27am

Ha, ha. Same in Germany, only worse. I have never seen a bread display directly behind the cashier though.

• April 14, 2008 9:32am

Nils: I’m glad the French have a sense of humor about it.

Well, at least the ones who aren’t Parisian..

• April 14, 2008 12:35pm

Too funny, and all too true!

• April 14, 2008 1:51pm

Good Lord! I’d never make it without getting arrested.

• April 14, 2008 3:57pm

Exactly the opposite happened to me. I was in line with a few things in my basket and the old lady BEHIND me straight up gave her merchandise to the cashier who rang her up before me. WTF.

• April 14, 2008 4:42pm

I’ve lived abroad, visited Paris and Provence, but maybe this will reveal how innately American I am: Why doesn’t the cashier take control of her line?

I just don’t understand this risquillage.

I’m leaving for Montreal Thursday. Does anyone know if French Canada has adopted this practice?

• April 15, 2008 3:10am

I do this all the time. What’s the point?

This is clearly one terrific video. Made me laugh so hard.

xx fanny

• April 15, 2008 9:05am

Fanny: I don’t believe it—you’re not Parisian!
    : )

(btw: There’s other ads for Le Parisien that are equally funny, and just as accurate. Search a video sharing site with the words ‘Le parisien publicite’ or ‘pub’)

• April 15, 2008 10:10am

Thanks. I’ll make sure to check as I find them so funny.

• Claire
    April 15, 2008 11:40am

Oh, yes, 100%. Unfortunately.

• Linda H.
    April 15, 2008 6:51pm

That’s despicable!

• April 20, 2008 9:45am

It’s because old people are completely invisible. True in the US – apparently in Paris as well. Sometimes it’s an advantage, mostly not.

• May 28, 2009 2:10am

I think I’ve been living here (where I live now) for too long because this looks outrageous. In my previous life, this was the reality too. Each person had to fight for their place in line. And now I think, poor old woman. Sniffle.

• May 28, 2009 5:38am

Ugh! That kind of thing just burns me up!

• October 13, 2009 2:38am

Toooo funny! I watched the others, which were equally funny and true! As for me, I usually let someone pass in front who has fewer items than I do while in line at my local Monop. People are always surprised at that (and appreciative). Are Antonians considered “Parisians?” B/c they are more civil down at my end… Great post, David!

Take care,
    Leesa

• December 16, 2009 6:52am

Well done! They only missed the part at the end where she remembers something else they need and sends her husband back to look for it.

• December 16, 2009 6:54am

But they left out the part where the woman digs around in her purse for 5 minutes, finally pulls out her checkbook to write a check, then chats with the cashier for 10 minutes after the transaction has taken place.

Love this series of videos! Showed them to some French friends who live in Toulouse and had never seen them before. They cracked up too.

• December 16, 2009 7:17am

Loulou: They also missed the part where the shift changes and the next cashier comes over and they spent five minutes talking amongst themselves. Then finally, after a long wait, they decide that it’s time. And then, and only then, do they deem the customers worthy of some attention.

Jamie: Actually, it’s usually something that isn’t priced correctly. So they have to try to find a manager, who is invariably on his break. And then he comes inside from having his smoke outside, reluctantly, to walk down the aisles in a daze (he also just took a nap), to try to find a similar item.

And of course, when they do, they have to zero out your whole order and start all over again.

And, of course, there is only on cashier open and there’s 12 people behind you. And they’re fuming, too.