Do Tread On Me

New York Street

Another thing to love about New York—
You only need to look two ways before crossing the street.

(It’s so clean!)

• Steve
    October 3, 2007 9:17am

I have seen Parisians picking it up!!! Unheard of before. I think the situation has improved. But you’re right; one must still be on the look out.

• mango
    October 3, 2007 9:21am

“If I can make it here, I’m goona make it anywhere..” – Frank Sinatra

• Terrie
    October 3, 2007 10:33am

The streets in Paris seemed noticably cleaner when I was there a few weeks ago! MUCH cleaner than I’ve ever seen them, it was a nice surprise.

• October 3, 2007 10:55am

Well I don’t agree!! As a Frenchy living in France I’m use to watch my steps in the streets and let me brag: but I’m quite good at it. Never for the last 10 years I got my shoes on those dirty dog’s poops, but in NEW YORK last week-end I was walking looking at the sky (’cause I was thinking: it’s America, it’s clean) and I stepped very badly into a big one … I ruins my ballet shoes … in New-York people, not Paris or any French sidewalks!

• October 3, 2007 11:02am

I’m just impressed with how much space there is between those two cars. In Paris they are always squeezed so close together you can’t even hope to walk between them!

• Joan
    October 3, 2007 12:46pm

Hi, I’ve just found your site and spent ages reading past posts (instead of working…) and love it! Mainly because I love Paris (I live in Milan) and go 3 or 4 times a year. We have some places in comon: Dishny, the Indian place and Lao Xe something… in Ave. d’Ivry.
    Will be in Paris next weekend and may even try out other places you’ve mentioned – but our compulsory place next weekend (wedding anniversary – our little tradition is a weekend in Paris) in a plateau de fruits de mer at Wepler.
    Joan

• October 3, 2007 3:55pm

Did you step in any here yet?(la merde du chien!) There was a large specimen in front of my building last night and still there this morning as I got on my bike! Hope the darned super sprays it away when I get back from work tonight!

Jeremy

• October 3, 2007 5:19pm

Jeremy: I’ve seen a bit, but nothing like back in Paris. Luckily I’m pretty good about dodging it, as are most Parisians.

Terrie: I think it depends on where you are. Plus our mayor, Delanoe, is up for re-election soon and they’ve been manically cleaning the streets.

Steve: I’ve seen some picking it up too! But most French people find it as icky as the rest of us do when people don’t. I had a friend come to visit who’s a vet and she liked it since she could tell what all the dogs were eating in Paris!

• Nancy
    October 3, 2007 5:58pm

I worry you won’t love us anymore after your week in NYC. The pizza problem, the upper westside crowds, the streets lined with, well, you know. It’s still my favorite place to be. I guess there’s no place like home.Where have you eaten that you love? My kids live in Brooklyn and we go to the Fairway in Red Hook for breakfast. Lox with a view! Try it. You’ll love us.

• October 3, 2007 6:22pm

So are you over it yet, NY I mean? I am, would love to move to Europe if i could!!!

Jeremy

• October 3, 2007 6:28pm

Nancy: I love New York! Of course, the fabulous weather is rather easy to deal with. But with the Greenmarket, Black & White Cookies, Garrett’s, The Amateur Gourmet, Korean BBQ, shoe shopping, the lousy dollar, gelato, Zabar’s, English-language bookstores, The ‘real’ New York Times, Pearll Oyster Bar, et al, I’m in heaven!

• October 5, 2007 9:40am

You make me laugh – not because I think it’s funny about looking 3 ways before crossing the street – but because I know!! What I always found annoying was finding out we were driving the wrong way on a one-way street, that was not marked as a one-way street and had cars parked on both sides of the street in both directions!!!