Gale Gand’s White Chocolate Sorbet Recipe
Gale Gand is a terrific baker and her book, Chocolate & Vanilla, is a double-sided treat that’ll have you flipping the book over and over almost as much as you’ll flip over the chocolate and vanilla desserts inside!
Last weekend I was invited to a birthday party, and as I flipped through the pages of her book, I was intrigued by the delicious-looking recipe for White Chocolate Sorbet, which is a snap to make.
I had a hunch it would go perfectly well with my Buckwheat Cake, which has the earthy taste of blé noir, but with a surprisingly light, delicate crumb. And I was right when I served them together at a recent dinner party.
It also pairs remarkably well with blueberries or summer fruits and berries, or dark chocolate. So consider serving it with a scoop of dark chocolate ice cream or chocolate sorbet, or just a scattering of dark chocolate shavings. Or how about Tangerine Sorbet?
Once the last of the buttery cake morsels disappeared off everyone’s plates at the party, all spoons headed towards the remains of the White Chocolate Sorbet left in the container. And soon it was all gone.
Gale Gand’s White Chocolate Sorbet
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) whole milk
- 2/3 cup (160ml) water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise (or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
- 8 ounces (225g) best-quality white chocolate, finely chopped
- Prepare an ice bath, setting a medium bowl inside of another (larger) bowl that's partially filled with ice and water. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, warm the milk, water, sugar, and vanilla bean until it’s almost to a boil.
- Remove from heat and add the pieces of white chocolate, whisking until they’re melted. (Rinse and air-dry the vanilla bean, and reserve it for another use.) It you want to add some liquor (see headnote), stir it in.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled bowl over ice and stir occasionally until well-chilled.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Related Posts and Recipes
Tips for Keeping Homemade Ice Cream Soft
Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream (Recipe)
How to Make Ice Cream Without a Machine