Only in Paris…

take away

….would that be a selling point.

• Lu
    December 22, 2008 6:44pm

Highly-larious! Happy Holidays, David.

• December 22, 2008 8:08pm

Very funny! I suppose masochists need somewhere to shop.

• December 22, 2008 8:24pm

And what’s better than ‘take away with attitude’? I’d have to say in viewing the photo, take away with attitude and alcoholic libations. Ummm, now that’s convenience!

• December 22, 2008 8:30pm

I live in NY but work a lot in Paris. Anyone agree with me that Parisians walk more aggressively than New Yorkers? I have been bumped into and cut in line more in Paris than I ever have in NY.

However, I think the attitude given by restaurant folk is worse in NY. Perhaps my poor French shields me from it in Paris?

• December 22, 2008 8:38pm

Is that the window at L’As? because attitude there, oh yes.

• Carol
    December 22, 2008 9:40pm

Would that be “the” order or “an” order!
    MC & HNY, David.

• December 22, 2008 9:55pm

Aw, no, I think it would sell in New York, too! (I’m a native New Yorker, so I get to say that…)

• Sarah
    December 23, 2008 1:43am

It may be a bit rude or just off putting, but I like the honesty. I remember buying a pair of shoes at a small shop in the Marais a few years back and the owner just shook her head “no” at me and “tsk tsked” me like a naughty child while I admired a pair I was trying on. She did however send one of her uninspired rather annoyed bored minions over to bring me another pair that looked better on my feet and of course cost more. At the counter when I paid she said something to the effect that she saved me more than money. There was no smile or levity included in the transaction.

I loathe the false service and the fake kindness I find at many American shopping venues. I adore great service however and tip anyone no matter the type of store if the service is really good. Chain shops have become more annoying than dental work. Does anyone else resent the barrage of questions asked at checkout in order to purchase a few batteries and some light bulbs or a pair of running shoes?

“What is your zip code? Do you get our coupons? Who helped you today? Would you like to apply for our special loyal customer shopping program? Are you a member of AAA? What is your blood type and are you going to give your mother grandchildren before she dies?????”

I swear, I cannot imagine a French shop keeper ever asking such questions at all. Am I wrong?

• Maryann Forrester
    December 23, 2008 2:29am

At first glance, I thought there was a can of falafel-flavored soda in the display. I was disappointed when it wasn’t. Perhaps I should harass Jones Soda…

• Randy \
    December 23, 2008 6:23am

Or in New York, David.

• December 23, 2008 9:14am

…and if you don’t have enough “attitude” already, you can order that bottle of Havana Club to go, polish it off, and you’ll be ready to roll, haha!

• Jazzalto
    December 23, 2008 11:46am

Au contraire, there are some US American restaurants that sell the attitude. The best example is Ed Debevic’s, a diner originally opened in Chicago with sassy wait staff who insult you and throw things at you. Americans will purchase the attitude if they know what they’re going in for.

• Jen
    December 23, 2008 11:48am

De-lurking to say how very envious I am of that bottle of Havana Club. My college roommate managed to get a student visa to go to Cuba, and she brought me a bottle of white Havana Club…best rum I’ve ever had.

• December 23, 2008 1:02pm

Haha… a place where you know you can go to be abused. Love it.

• December 23, 2008 1:14pm

Ed Debevic’s!!! It’s been ages!! I love that place!

They insult you one minute, have a seat and dig into your fries the next, then they jump up on the dining counter and perform “Greased Lightning!” And all of this happens, while you are seated in a vintage car.

I never asked Quentin, but I assume Ed Debevic’s is what Jack Rabbit Slim’s in Pulp Fiction was modeled after. Don’t you think so?

Oh, and David… that is a great shot. Hilarious!!! And, so true.

XOXOXOX,

~ Paula
    (of Ambrosia Quest)

• December 23, 2008 1:28pm

I understand that one (at least I think), but now I do not see at all what the hell they meant to write here :D

• Steve
    December 23, 2008 2:30pm

Huh? You want EXTRA mustard on that?! I got your mustard right here, buddy.

• Mary
    December 24, 2008 3:08am

Vancouver also has a restaurant known for ATTITUDE! Its called Elbow Room and the wait staff will tell you to get your own f***ing coffee!