We survived the recent heatwave, which seemed like a good time to update my post on Vanilla Ice Cream, with new pictures. Probably the worst thing you can do in a heatwave is photograph ice cream, but I did it. As a former restaurant line cook, I can cook or bake through anything. Having a batch of freshly churned ice cream when it’s that hot, is never a bad idea, but plum sorbet, elderflower sorbet, and strawberry frozen yogurt, are also good ways to cool down, using seasonal fruits, berries, and flowers.
- Got cherries? Make the easy Cherry Red Wine Compote (shown above), or this Cherry Compote without red wine.
- This machine makes perfectly clear spheres of ice for just $199! Oops, I mean $999…
- Parents in the 18th arrondissement of Paris furious their kids were fed industrial, pre-packaged sandwiches.
- Wine glasses that float ensure you don’t spill. (But just in case, you might want to fill ’em with rosé, rather than red.)
- The curse of hashtagged honeymoons.
- The jambon-beurre is having a renaissance.
- I’ve been crushing on this vintage-style Timex watch.
- Even vegans like ice cream, so those avoiding dairy can churn up this dairy-free Strawberry Ice Cream.
- A stylish way to beat the heat in Paris: A hotel in the Marais has a room with a private pool, and a balcony with a view of Paris. (Spoiler: It comes with a hefty price tag.)
- YouTube food stars
- The lavender fields of Provence are getting too much influencer attention, and locals aren’t amused.
- Why we’re feeling burnt-out all the time.
- A chef puts the “rest” in restaurant.
- Up to $675,000 worth of wine stolen from Paris restaurant. (Hint: It wasn’t me.)
- …and joyeaux 14 juillet! (or, la Fête nationale, aka Bastille Day…but only outside of France)