A Visit to Fouquet Chocolate & Confections

Fouquet is one of my favorite shops in Paris. I’m absolutely addicted to the thin crisps of spice bread enrobed in dark chocolate as well as to the house-made pâtes de fruits and the coconut-filled rectangles cloaked in chocolate. And, of course, the caramelized almonds, too.

It’s rare to find a shop still making candies the old-fashioned way and I thought it would be fun to share it with you, along with meeting Fréderic Chambeau, whose family has owned the shop for several generations.

36, rue Laffitte (9th)
Tél: 01 47 70 85 00
(Second shop at 23 rue François 1er, 8th.)

[Video by Flow Films.]

Related Posts and Links

Fouquet (My Previous Visit)

A Visit to Patrick Roger (Video)

Ready for Dessert (Video)

• J. T.
    May 4, 2011 7:38am

Man Lebovitz, your videos are so well done and you don’t try to push your personality into the product. You give voice to the product and its producers. Very well done. Your website and your perspective really adds to my enjoyment of life. Joie de vivre!

• May 4, 2011 8:17am

Thanks! I find these people, and what they’re doing, so interesting. Am happy to share & glad you enjoyed it.

btw: For viewers who wish to watch in a larger format, you can click on the title of the video and you can watch at the Vimeo page.

• mamabigdog
    May 4, 2011 8:34am

Love the video- wish you would do these more, but I know it’s not so simple. I haven’t had those thin almond spice cookies in ages- used to get them in CA. Never had them enrobed, I’m sure they are delicious that way.

• May 4, 2011 8:38am

This was lovely David. Looking forward to more videos like this! You crack me up!

• flavia
    May 4, 2011 8:50am

beautiful. you always make me wanna visit france (and meet the french, and eat french food) when i watch these videos. pls keep them coming :)

• May 4, 2011 8:51am

Just loved this! I’m so happy that you can share so much with us that is “behind the scenes”… The shops and confections are so wonderful, and even more so when we can watch how they are made, and hear from the people who make them. Just fascinating. Your access is such a wonderful gift to all of us, thank you!

• May 4, 2011 8:57am

Oh god, those toasted, chocolate covered almonds look sublime. And the candied ones too. wow!

• May 4, 2011 9:07am

Great video and you make a great presenter, sharing what you know and find and love!

• May 4, 2011 9:28am

I’m so happy you made another video… totally loving the insider’s view to these shops. Thanks David.

• Elaine
    May 4, 2011 9:51am

You are the MAN. Loved the question about French Revolutionaries being hyped up on sugar, loved the commentary on the linguistics of déception, and loved the commentary on the French v. American reaction of eating food.

• Mary Claire
    May 4, 2011 1:45pm

David, you have the best job in the entire world. Seriously. Love the video! Two comments, 1) Frederic is adorable, and 2) how on earth do you stay so slim?

• May 4, 2011 1:46pm

Wow. I love your videos and the way you present chocolate shops … it makes me really happy to watch these candies being made by hand individually! It’s like I’m right there and like I can smell all those sweet scents.

• Leigh
    May 4, 2011 2:00pm

Fantastic. More please.

• Helena
    May 4, 2011 2:43pm

Please keep doing those beautiful videos, love them! Also, I would love some chocolate covered almonds now :D

• May 4, 2011 2:48pm

oh David Lebovitz. what a treat to watch this! also the description “coconut cloaked in chocolate” was perfect and i loved the notion of simple satisfaction rather than the fireworks. you’re so great and i thank you for this video.

• May 4, 2011 3:19pm

Wonderful! Thank you for sharing!

• May 4, 2011 3:19pm

I absolutely loved this video. How on earth do I get the privilege of a similar job? Seriously

• May 4, 2011 3:37pm

Fab video! Love it! I, too would relish more of these if you get the chance!

• May 4, 2011 3:53pm

I can’t tell you how much I love these movies David. You are inspiring me to do my own.

• May 4, 2011 3:58pm

Super video! Beautifully simple, informative & lush…you’re a natural. Looking forward to more.

May 4, 2011 4:27pm

How fortunate to find a merchant that would let you film them. How fortunate for us! Thank you, David.
    I recognize those flat almond cookies. My late Mother-in-law’s hairdresser used to give a ribboned bag of them as a Christmas gift to all her clients. They were so good and compared to the thick, chewy cookies everyone professes to prefer, her shop had annual clients that made a December appointment because they knew those cookies would be gifted at that time of year, or so she said. I don’t know what those cookies are called or I’d be making them myself, they are so good. She just called them Ice Box Cookies and wouldn’t share the recipe. I can’t fault her for that!

• May 4, 2011 4:32pm

You weren’t joking about the basement.
    That was very interesting to see that this company does small batch preserving.
    The Cherries looked very interesting.

Great video. Great presenter.

• May 4, 2011 4:59pm

Terrific video and what an authentic place.
    They still do things the old way.
    His comment that they used to have 45 times more products makes you wonder…

• Felechia
    May 4, 2011 5:12pm

I watched this while eating my oatmeal this morning…I never knew you were so slim! Perhaps you follow the “one bite only” rule. This video made a wonderful start to my day. Thank you.

• May 4, 2011 5:25pm

Susan: They’re actually quite similar to these Pain d’amande cookies and you could slice them super-thin they after baked, dip them in chocolate. The only problem is that I think you’d have a lot around the house and if you’re anything like me, you’d eat them all!

• May 4, 2011 5:36pm

Love the video tours of Parisian chocolatiers. Keep’em coming.

• May 4, 2011 5:43pm

I would have been tempted to pull a Lucy and Ethel with that chocolate conveyor belt!

• May 4, 2011 5:52pm

Hi David!

I just wanted to say I love your blog! My husband and I went to Paris on our honeymoon last September. I wrote down so many of your suggestions and great places to go. You really helped us make the most of our trip.

• May 4, 2011 5:54pm

I loved it. You do everything with style. Very well done. oh and the chocolates weren’t bad either. ;-) toasted almonds with chocolate. there’s no better combination. except dark chocolate and raspberry. that’s pretty amazing too. .

i think americans are looking for fireworks because their lives are so busy they need complexity for them to take notice. I’ve never felt my sense come so alive as I have recently moving here to CH. But especially my sense of taste. I feel like it woke up when i moved here. French and Italian food and sweets. It doesn’t get better than that!

• May 4, 2011 6:21pm

Thank you for doing what you do! Your visit to Fouquet takes me back to the ’80’s when I lived in Paris. Only then, I could not indulge in all the treats, like I can now! If only I thought to embark on my pastry career then, rather than wait another 10 years. Anyway…your mini-films, photos & blog are a daily 10 minute “vacation” for me.

• Kathryn
    May 4, 2011 7:32pm

Thank you for the video! Very enjoyable to watch! I like hearing you translate some of the french words you are using, as well as hearing the pronunciation of the words. I shared your book, The Sweet Life In Paris, with the French class I am taking. I told them what a fun and informative read it is. Our last class is next week and we will be having a fête. We are all asked to bring a typical french dish, any suggestions?

• Katie K
    May 4, 2011 7:59pm

I thought the reverse was true– that Americans like food, such as dessert, simply prepared, while the French go over the top with fancy arrangements.

• Cyndy
    May 4, 2011 8:07pm

I am still reeling from your visit to Patrick Roget, and up comes the next wonderful place, in video no less! Just when I got Roget’s chocolate-covered ginger pieces out of my mind. It’s a good (bad, bad!) thing we don’t live there anymore.

I have heard those words, like your example, “deception,” called faux amis. You think you understand what the word means, but you don’t really. I’ve also heard them referred to as faux mots.

@ Mary Claire, I too think Frederic is adorable!

• May 4, 2011 8:08pm

The walk into the basement is so typical of your sharing with us a behind-the-scenes look at the people you visit and their lives.
    And the comment about Americans wanting “fireworks” when they eat sounds so true with the way Americans view dining in general. It also runs over into the way the American wine palate is changing the world view of winemaking.
    Grazie mille.

• May 4, 2011 8:10pm

Sounds great! I love all your videos!

• May 4, 2011 8:29pm

bonjour david! i liked hearing you talk about how americans seem more enamored with “sizzle.” coming into play, perhaps, is also the vast histoire of french cuisine and its culture, coupled with a reverance for the culinary arts, that satisfies a frenchman’s (and woman’s) appreciation of nuance and subtlety. i have witnessed too that the french are more satisified by one excellent Fouquet caramelized chocolate enrobed almond; whereas (and this is generalizing of course) americans tend to want more before they swallow what they have. merci!

• May 4, 2011 8:44pm

Hi David, my husband and I are in Paris at this moment and were very happily surprised to see you in Fouquet when we were passing by there today. Apart from chocolate you seem to like a good cup of coffee. There is a tiny italian serving great coffee and pastas in Passage de la Madeleine. I forgot the exact name, I think it’s Pozetto. I’ll check it and will let you know if you want.

• Maia Brindley Nilsson
    May 4, 2011 9:31pm

LOVED your example of ‘deception.’ Hilarious.

• May 4, 2011 10:35pm

Wonderful video – so fun to watch the delicate process of candy making. Thank you for sharing.

• Betsy
    May 4, 2011 10:47pm

Lovely video David! I hope you do more of these! Now I’m off to rummage through the kitchen for some chocolate :)

• Rosa
    May 5, 2011 1:45am

About the sesame oil tweet–don’t know where else to respond since I don’t tweet. My experience has been that solids form in the oil when I store it in the refrigerator. They melt once it warms up and it all goes back to normal. Perhaps that’s what the warning is getting at…or maybe it’s something far more ominous!

• May 5, 2011 2:20am

David, we are over there in 3 weeks. Can’t wait! This is on our list, along with The Sweet Life in Paris book on the iPad. Could be the Chocolate Tour de Paris.

• May 5, 2011 2:45am

Very cool, thanks for posting it. I really enjoy the videos that you do!

• Gavrielle
    May 5, 2011 6:17am

Wow, that was fascinating – the fan was a real eye-opener. So that’s how they get the chocolate so delicously thin – I never would have guessed a fan in a million years! I was also interested in the “fireworks” comparison between American and French food – I think the exact same thing applies to our New Zealand white wines. They are explosions of flavour compared to the much more subtle French whites – neither are intrinsically better, it’s just a totally different approach.

• May 5, 2011 6:25am

Hi David, thanks for that video! It was really fun to get an inside look at Fouquet. I love your blog and I used to work at Nopa too! On another note, I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to where to eat in Prague or specialties to try (as I’m going there next week!). I really appreciate it!

• Mary Sanavia
    May 5, 2011 6:47am

Excellent! I hope to see many more of your videos.

• Skippy
    May 5, 2011 7:25am

If there was a live feed streaming from that shop, I probably would watch it a shameful amount of hours a day.

• Candela
    May 5, 2011 9:32am

Thanks David for this excellent video! I fall in love with shops that still make wonderful things old-fashioned way & I can be there for hours … :)

• Tuti
    May 5, 2011 11:44am

How lovely to see your enthousiasm for something in person! Thanks for making this great video!

• May 5, 2011 1:02pm

I am really enjoying the addition of videos to your blog. Your writing is wonderful but it’s also nice to poke about in these fantastic places and see things I would normally never have access to.

• May 5, 2011 1:05pm

Hi David! I met you on Saturday. I just wanted to let you know I followed many of your recos including one for NYC recently (City Bakery).

• Lauren
    May 5, 2011 2:25pm

This video makes me hungry! Not just for food, but also travel, thanks for another great post!

• Lia
    May 5, 2011 2:43pm

Love your videos :)

• May 5, 2011 3:53pm

I have one solid copper candy pot; it has remained on the top shelf for too long. Time to make your amazing maple creams in honor of this engaging video and 5-minute vacation to Paris. Merci.

• May 5, 2011 6:51pm

I always remember having one of the best fondue meals in Paris when I was there several years ago with my sister. Sadly, I can’t remember the name, seeing we stumbled upon it one evening. I do remember it was near Sacre Coeur.

• Bernadette
    May 5, 2011 8:34pm

I love when you post videos, I think you can see from most replies, we all do! Do so more often! Good stuff.

• marti
    May 6, 2011 1:49am

Great video, David. You offered a lot of interesting insights from this chocolatier. It was beautifully shot and produced. Great job on camera and behind the scenes.

But truly stunning to see that you do not weigh four hundred pounds!

• May 6, 2011 2:20am

What a delicious video, David! I wish there was a way to taste everything with you (well, obviously I could buy a ticket to France and stalk you until you went there, but I meant from the comfort of my own home). Thanks for taking us along with you.

• May 6, 2011 5:57am

I loved that we could hear the crunch of the almonds when you bit into them. Not sure why, really, it was a yummy sound. :)

• May 6, 2011 2:16pm

It was all so charming, the shop owner, the old fashioned equipment, the obvious quality and simplicity of the food, the basement with the dusty jars. I loved the question about the basement production being legal, and this is one of the reasons why I love France so much: it would not be legal in many other places..

Great video, in a nutshell.

• Judy
    May 6, 2011 3:19pm

I love your videos – always so interesting and well edited. I not only follow your blog stories avidly but re-read many of them for inspiration or just to travel with you if just in my mind!

• May 6, 2011 3:24pm

Great video, David! Gah, Frederic is so cute. :)

• May 7, 2011 12:07am

Thank you David, I am happy to see that your videos are a real success. It’s always a pleasure to welcome you in Fouquet.
    Next time not only I will show you the basement but we will taste the homemade “punch à Sidonie” which is macerating in there.

You can follow Fouquet on facebook and twitter (@fouquetchocolat)

• May 7, 2011 11:13am

We visited Fouquet the day after you were there. A perfect end of our visit to Paris: owner Frederic made us taste some of Fouquet’s delicious delicacies, among others chocolate covered ginger; not too sweet, a bit peppery and oh so tasty.

The name and address of the tiny italian (for an -in our opinion- very beautiful espresso) I mentioned earlier on is: Caffé Corto, 11 Rue Tronchet, 8ième.

• May 8, 2011 1:35pm

What a great movie! It was so well done and I really enjoyed watching it!

• laura
    May 10, 2011 8:15pm

I visited the Fouquet near Ave. Montaigne on May 5th with my 2 daughters. My older daughter, age 13, and I had been before. We love the store and always approach the saleslady with a cheery, “Bonjour,” but she refuses to try any English. Maybe she really doesn’t know any! We love their candies, especially their candy-coated toffee, which tastes like candy-coated caramel.

Thank you for all of your Paris food advice! I have a Bernachon bar that I’m about to devour. I’m trying very hard to wait for my family to get home so we can share it. According to Denise Acabo, I purchased one of your favorites!

• Stephanie
    May 12, 2011 4:30pm

My husband just brought me a sample of Fouquet’s chocolate and I remembered that you posted a video (that I did not have time to watch at the time) so now I am enjoying the chocolate all the more!

As an American living among the French for several years, I applaud your attempt at humor with them. I have all but given up and usually keep my comments to myself but you just throw yourself out there and that is lovely to see.

• Mrs D
    May 16, 2011 6:20am

Wonderful! Thank you so much for another video. I really echo your first commenter’s comments. Bravo!

• June 1, 2011 12:30pm

You make me want to emigrate, to find a reason to uproot, just to be able to eat. Wonderful video.